Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stock Radio Problems....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 01:42 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough
Default Stock Radio Problems....

hey guys. i have a 96 blazer. 4wd. 4 door. 4.3 v6 automatic. when im driving the radio has a tendancy to just stop working or it will shut off for a split second then turn back on with the volume sounding like i were turning it back up. whenever it does this, just the clock part of the radio lights go out. but all the other parts stay lit up. (preset numbers, ect...) i noticed that when it does this i cannot change the volume or change the station. i cant even shut the damn thing off. but if i hit the RCL button or the thing that makes the time display. it will work for the 5 seconds or however long it stays up. but then it will just go blank again. im wondering if this is a power problem or if the stereo is just defective. ive been looking into getting a new one but i need to know if this is gonna happen if i get a new one too.

also ive been trying to get the dash trim apart but once i get to the shifter lever i get stuck. i cant get it past there without it sounding and looking like its gonna snap in half and i do not want that. i want to keep my baby as clean as possible!!!

any feedback is welcome
thanks

Old 01-31-2010, 03:52 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Man I have had a couple of the factory radios in my 94 and am going to break down and get an aftermarket one. You have two connectors on the back - one (black) has 11 (if I remember right) receptacles (power wires, lights, dimmer, ground and front speakers) and the other (blue) has 4 receptacles (rear speakers). I have found that these connectors are OK. It's been my stereo(s) that are on the fritz. The pins are pretty small and seem to get loose on the receptacle inside of the stereo. I've tried resoldering them and am at my wits end. It's definately time for a change. The power button went out the last time and just try to find that and get to it. Do yourself a favor and go to Crutchfields or ? You'll be glad you did. That's my next project. I took the factory wiring diagram and the shipside wiring is perfect. Checked every pin. Does what it's supposed to do.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 01-31-2010 at 03:56 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 AM

yeah. i wanted to get one of the touch screen radios but none of the ones i want fit my car. im in love with the pioneer in dash radio. its pretty cheap for pioneer but can you recomand a good stereo that i get?

Old 01-31-2010, 05:45 PM

I really want the JVC double din with cassette and CD player but alas it won't fit without major rework of the dash and ducts. I'm going to go with the Pioneer in dash cassette player with CD changer controls and and Sat radio controls and add the remote CD changer and Sat radio later. The model is KEH-P2030. About $100.00. Just my preference as I still have a lot of cassette tapes that are in excellent shape. Check it out. It'll fit according to Crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130KEHP...0.html?tp=5684

Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 PM

i just looked up some stereos on crutchfield and i found this one http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020FZ40...9.html?tp=5684
i think its pretty sweet but some of the reviews are crappy so idk.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:28 AM

I know that when Clarion first started out (boy I'm dating myself here) they were kinda like the Wal-Mart of stereos but I guess they've improved. You do get a couple of nice features with it. Still kinda like the Pioneer cause it has the cassette deck and my favorite stuff is still on tape. I know, this is the 21st century. get with it, right?

Old 02-01-2010, 08:32 AM

yeah. haha. i remember when i was a kid listening to elvis on cassete. i had a pair of headphones that was like 6 feet long so i could dance with them on.