Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

"True" 4 AWG help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:11 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default "True" 4 AWG help?

Well to keep the story short... I got 25 feet of red and 25 feet of black 4 awg from eBay. It arrived today and has 4 awg Bullz Audio on the actual cable. I go to look at the end of the cable and it doesn't look anywhere near 4 awg. Can I get a second opinion on this? What does everybody think? Should I complain it isn't 4 awg and try to get my money back?

Picture:

Attached Thumbnails "True" 4 AWG help?-2012-12-20190822_zps38ab2f05-1_zpsbf45a8c0.jpg  

Last edited by tibby; 12-20-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

That is not true 4 AWG wire. How much did you pay for it? I've gotten quite skeptical of most wire out on the market. If it's not Kicker Hyperflex, Streetwires, or KnuKonceptz I won't recommend it. I recommend Knu alot because it tends to run oversize and they have about the cheapest prices that can be had for the wire as well.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
That is not true 4 AWG wire. How much did you pay for it? I've gotten quite skeptical of most wire out on the market. If it's not Kicker Hyperflex, Streetwires, or KnuKonceptz I won't recommend it. I recommend Knu alot because it tends to run oversize and they have about the cheapest prices that can be had for the wire as well.
I paid $34 for 25 feet of red 4 awg and 25 feet of black awg. So 50 feet total of "4 awg" for $34. How bad do you think I got ripped off? It says for returns that the buyer must pay for return shipping. I want to complain though that it isn't true 4 awg. I don't know if telling them that statement will help any though. What would you suggest? There is no sense in returning the wire if return shipping is half the price. I want to get some knukonceptz 4 awg (oversized cca) blue wire instead. It would run $20 + shipping for 20 feet. Btw, this is used for the big 3 upgrade.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Starting Member
armykyle1 is on a distinguished road

Bullz audio is slightly undersized wire and it is also CCA, so keep that in mind.

Wire is my thing, since I do a lot of car audio.

34 bucks isn't bad for 50ft though.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:50 PM

I agree. For the price you paid you sure didn't get ripped off.

What are you planning to run it on? The fact that it's a little under sized may not even be a participating factor.

The Knukonceptz 4AWG KCA wire (also CCA) is $95 a foot. CCA doesn't bother me as long as it's being used for it's intended purpose and so within it's limitations.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
I agree. For the price you paid you sure didn't get ripped off.

What are you planning to run it on? The fact that it's a little under sized may not even be a participating factor.

The Knukonceptz 4AWG KCA wire (also CCA) is $95 a foot. CCA doesn't bother me as long as it's being used for it's intended purpose and so within it's limitations.
If it was $95 a FOOT it better be gold plated haha. :P

But I need to upgrade my big 3 wire because I found an ad244 alt I need to install to support my aux lights and sound system. I'm afraid the bullz audio 4 awg wire is the same gauge (8 awg) that the system has right now. I know Knukonceptz 4 awg runs a little big which is a plus. I was going to get 20 feet of Knu's 4 awg for the big 3. That should be enough. I don't think I can get away with using bullz audio 4 awg (more like 8 awg) for the big 3. So what should I do with it if I can't return it?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:21 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I like welding cable, its not pretty colored but the insulation is better than stereo shop wire. The sizing is also more regulated.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM
Starting Member

My biggest issue with more CCA is the it's lack of corrosion resistance. It will corrode much faster than OFC. Any wires under the hood I typically search for silver tinned wire. Lasts way longer. There's a few companies making silver tinned CCA.

DIYMA 1/0 Gauge CCA - 50ft - Cables and Wires

That's one of them. I'll be laying down 4-5 runs of that when I get my HO alt. They had a sale a while back, 50% off, so I picked up two spools

Under hood I also crimp and solder my connections. Just throwing stuff out there.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by tibby
If it was $95 a FOOT it better be gold plated haha. :P

But I need to upgrade my big 3 wire because I found an ad244 alt I need to install to support my aux lights and sound system. I'm afraid the bullz audio 4 awg wire is the same gauge (8 awg) that the system has right now. I know Knukonceptz 4 awg runs a little big which is a plus. I was going to get 20 feet of Knu's 4 awg for the big 3. That should be enough. I don't think I can get away with using bullz audio 4 awg (more like 8 awg) for the big 3. So what should I do with it if I can't return it?
What is the amperage of it? if you're not happy with the wire, double up the runs. Save money.

Originally Posted by neo71665
I like welding cable, its not pretty colored but the insulation is better than stereo shop wire. The sizing is also more regulated.
I don't know about that. Having used welding cable and lots of car audio wire. Maybe cheaper wires, yes. But stinger, kicker, RF and other brands no.

another thing I left out, is you can use some no ox to help prevent corrosion.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by armykyle1
What is the amperage of it? if you're not happy with the wire, double up the runs. Save money.
I agree. Standard 4AWG is good for about 150amps. Unless the alt was of the HO variety I'm not sure I'd even worry about it, and if you're that worried, Kyle is right, just double up the runs since you've already got the wire. Also, depending on the amps you're using it wouldn't hurt to run that under sized 4AWG.

Originally Posted by armykyle1
I don't know about that. Having used welding cable and lots of car audio wire. Maybe cheaper wires, yes. But stinger, kicker, RF and other brands no.

another thing I left out, is you can use some no ox to help prevent corrosion.
I agree with you on that too. Welding cable is definitely tough stuff, but any worthwhile car audio wire is plenty tough enough for what it goes through in most vehicle installations. Also, a big DUH on my part, got the Streetwires and Stinger brands mixed up in my head, lol.

Quick Reply: "True" 4 AWG help?