Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

tweeter direction

Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Default tweeter direction

i just got my infinity tweeters in. i cant mount them anyway i want with this mounting bracket. should i keep the tweeters faced away as the stock were, or face them towards me ?

im in need of one speaker grill so i was gonna try both ways and see which way i like them better, but i wanted to see what others had as an opinion

Old 01-28-2014, 11:12 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

My best recommendation to you is to try them in every feasible position and location you can. You're not going to know which is perfect to you until you hear it and if you don't give every possible option a chance you might well miss out on it. I usually tell people to use double sided foam tape or something equivalent to stick them in every location they're comfortable that they have the skills to make the installation permanent. I also tell them to give the tweeters ample listening time in each location they try. I'm not talking five or ten minutes listening to two or three songs. I mean an afternoon, a whole day, hell listen to them in the top two or three locations for a week. The point is the more time you spend making sure it's as perfect as possible the happier you'll be with it in the long run and that goes for everything in the build not just one aspect. Also be sure when listening to swap the polarity on one tweeter, then the other one, then both at the same time in each location and aiming angle you try. Sometimes changing the phase can help with response issues caused by reflections, resonances (not real common with tweeters), and destructive wave interaction from crosstalk (right side waves being heard in the left ear and vise versa).

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 01-28-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road

right now ive got them mounted perfectly facing the opposite way the stock were, but that can be changed. i havent had a real good chance to drive around with them ive listened for 15 mins in the driveway. damn i didnt think of the double sided tape thats a good idea lol. im just happy i got them to fit with no real mods besides the one hole drilled in the stock bracket. my next option is get a piece of 1/4'' wood and put that behind the stock opening and then drill the speaker adapter into that.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:36 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Yeah Altons' right. Tweeter placement is a butch. Mine are stock dash position with left one aimed at the wimdshield and wired out of phase amd the right side above the grill facing just to the right of the driver and wired in phase. Who knew. That might not be the best but Im tired of the trials for now.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:33 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

It doesn't have to be a bitch to do, you could just put it in the exact same way as the factory and be done. However taking the time to test and tune properly can be the difference between "Eh, it's better than factory" and "Damn that sounds awesome."

In car audio there are a LOT of challenges to overcome compared to home or pro audio. The noise floor of the environment inside the vehicle alone from wind, road/tire, engine, exhaust noises and rattles in the interior alone cause issues. Add to that all the irregularly shaped surfaces and the fact there's not a single friendly location to mount anything in remotely ideal positions for aiming, image and stage and it's an acoustic nightmare to try to reproduce any kind of quality audio inside of it. Granted any kind of REAL sound quality is not typically the goal for most car audio enthusiasts it doesn't hurt anything to try an strive for it. Just lowering the noise floor inside the vehicle about 10dB with a good and complete sound deadening treatment would allow us to get the same perceived output with half the power applied to the speakers. Imagine for a moment what that alone can accomplish as to how good it sounds.

I tried an experiment that I read about several years ago that was a real eye opener and easy enough to do. All you need is a chair, couple of box fans are great but one will do, and a radio of some sort. Place the fans near the chair so that they're blowing at your head and turn them up on high. Now hopefully your radio has a remote to make this step easier but turn the radio up until you can comfortably hear the music playing. Now turn the fans off. It will be MUCH louder than with them on and possibly even in the realm of distortion. It's kind of an eye opening experiment for anyone who's never experienced it before and a good likeness to one of the many issues we face within the car audio hobby.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

It aint just car audio. Iv got a TWO AND A HALF watt tube home amp that is unimaginably good at 4:am and I dont even waste the electricity other times. But I digress.