Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

What amp would I need?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:37 PM
IanD is on a distinguished road
Question What amp would I need?

Could somebody tell me what amp I can get? I really only need it to power my sub which is a Infinity Kappa 120.1se, also have polk db651s in the front and plan on putting some in the back.. specs are:

- Impedence - 4 OHMS,
- Power handling (peak) - 1200w
- Power handling (RMS) - 300W
- Sensitivity - 94dB
- Frequency Response (± 1.5dB) - 20Hz-250Hz
- Frequency Response (±3dB) - 20Hz - 250Hz

I am a noob at this stuff, so any help would be nice.. not looking to spend much aswell.

Also any other things i need to put the amp in? like what gauge wire etc.?

thanks in advance

Old 11-19-2011, 08:24 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

IMHO a good 4 channel amp would be the best way to go. You could use two channel's to power your db651's and bridge the remaining two channels to power your sub. I think you'd get the best results doing that for several reasons. You'll get louder and cleaner sound from your 651's by powering them with an external amp instead of the HU. It could very well save you some money and trouble as I think you'd find that you won't need your rear speakers anymore anyway. Lastly it leaves some versatility for upgrades later.

A good 4 channel amp with about 75-100wrms per channel should fit the bill. What's your budget for amp?

Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Sorry for the extremely late reply, I had no idea anyone had replied to this until now. I really don't have much of a budget at all, I'm not really an audiophile I just like to have some bass in my music (more than the speakers can produce) but not so much that others outside can hear. I was looking at this, seeing as it's an extremely low-cost amp.

Amazon.com: Pyramid PB717X 1,000-Watt 2-Channel Bridgeable Amplifier: Car Electronics

I just received a Kenwood Headunit from my brother as a christmas present, so I don't really think that I would need to power them from the amp. But yeah, this amp is a 2 channel/ 2 ohms. Do you think that would be good enough?

Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Starting Member
Blazer51 is on a distinguished road

Here is a link of a great website you can use to buy your amp and all other kind of car audio you need it gives your the features and specs before you buy it so you know what kind works best for your subs. Best of luck.
Car Amplifiers | Car Amps at Sonic Electronix

Old 12-23-2011, 09:44 AM

Thanks for that website, it really helped me choose an amp. Like I said before, I don't have that much of a budget so I chose this amp,

Kenwood KAC-1502S (KAC1502S) 350W 2-Channel Stereo Amp w/ LPF

60 bucks for a kenwood amp? Yes please. haha

I know it's not the best but I am only going to use it to power my sub.

Thanks again, happy holidays!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by IanD
Thanks for that website, it really helped me choose an amp. Like I said before, I don't have that much of a budget so I chose this amp,

Kenwood KAC-1502S (KAC1502S) 350W 2-Channel Stereo Amp w/ LPF

60 bucks for a kenwood amp? Yes please. haha

I know it's not the best but I am only going to use it to power my sub.

Thanks again, happy holidays!
If your only going to put one sub in make sure you bridge it so you get the most out of the amp and sub if you go with 2 channel amp. As for the price i if i were you id go with this one for one sub believe me i have this same amp powering my 3 10s and bumps hella loud. its only 65 bucks. Hitron HPA1100.1 (hpa11001) 1100W Max, Pro Series Monoblock

Happy holidays!!

Old 12-26-2011, 02:25 AM
Defiant is on a distinguished road

I would go with something that is a little more tweak-able then that Kenwood, a friend of mine decided to skimp out on purchasing a good quality amp and purchased some Wal-Mart Sony amp that had pretty much the same setup as far as tuning goes as that Kenwood. Every sub he ever tried hooking up to that amp sounded like garbage, after about a month it started doing some really goofy **** to his second sub, hooked my quality Alpine amp to his system and problem solved. I wouldn't get that amp just because it has Kenwood printed on it, you get what you pay for and with a 50 dollar amp my guess is it isn't much.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Defiant
I would go with something that is a little more tweak-able then that Kenwood, a friend of mine decided to skimp out on purchasing a good quality amp and purchased some Wal-Mart Sony amp that had pretty much the same setup as far as tuning goes as that Kenwood. Every sub he ever tried hooking up to that amp sounded like garbage, after about a month it started doing some really goofy **** to his second sub, hooked my quality Alpine amp to his system and problem solved. I wouldn't get that amp just because it has Kenwood printed on it, you get what you pay for and with a 50 dollar amp my guess is it isn't much.

Actually ill have to disagree with you, it only depends on how you have it set up and hooked up bad grounding causes serious defects in the sound, and you have to adjust it right for your subs, also you have to get the right box enclousure to make it sound right a sealed box is way different from a ported box it all depends on trying out different things till everything works out to your liking. good luck.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:21 PM

@Defiant Hmm, I guess. I haven't purchased it yet, (thankfully you could say) but I am still shopping around, on both Amazon and Sonic Electronix, I don't want to be disappointed in my purchase. Hopefully I will have made up my mind by Wednesday because I really am tired of waiting and I just want to get this thing installed with my new HU.

Unless that is, somebody on the forum is selling a decent amp for an even more decent price and is willing to use PayPal. *hint *hint

Thanks guys

Old 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM

@Blazer51

I'm guessing a ported box is better then? I have a sealed one my brother gave me a couple months ago.

Quick Reply: What amp would I need?