Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Where is the best place to get switch power from for a new deck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:52 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Where is the best place to get switch power from for a new deck?

ORIGINAL: HCCAFan

Um dudes...solder is not as good of a conductor as copper...that's why. Unless you are using silver solder which I doubt you have the means for. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that you don't solder speaker wires together. Yes that added resistance will be minimal if you do it right....but to do it right requires some pretty decent skill at soldering and not melting the insulation while not creating a cold solder either. All in all, what's the benefit? Keeping the ends from disconnecting? Any decent sized speaker wire is also going to be 12-14 gauge or bigger and pretty damn hard to get that hot.
yes copper is a better conductor and so is gold. but most people would rather not spend the money on finer metals and a torch that burns hotter. solder is still an excellent conductor. its def a better connection than crimps or electrical tape. and safer than crimps electrical tape or those copper caps.

Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 AM
HCCAFan is an unknown quantity at this point

My argument is that solder is just not worth it on speaker cables. What's the benefit? There is a chance of making the connection worse and though it is a better conductor than say tape...the current still travels through the past of least resistance which is the copper wire.

And I don't remember why but...I heard it from 2 very reputable sources. One time I was installing speaker cable in walls for a customer of my step fathers and when I went to buy the in wall stuff from a shop that specializes in that kinda thing, the shop owner expressly told me that you never solder speaker wire. Guess I shoulda asked why. The second guy that told me the same thing was the owner of Audio Lab in Wilmington NC. That man hand makes some of the finest speakers in the world down to drawing his own voice coils through a vacuum to coat them with whatever he uses. He also told me "you don't solder speaker connections".

Old 03-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well my 'source' says its the best way to go, and i did it that way, and when i put my 6x9's in the back this week, i'm soldering em.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:37 PM

Apparently you have more spare time than I.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:27 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: HCCAFan

My argument is that solder is just not worth it on speaker cables. What's the benefit? There is a chance of making the connection worse and though it is a better conductor than say tape...the current still travels through the past of least resistance which is the copper wire.

And I don't remember why but...I heard it from 2 very reputable sources. One time I was installing speaker cable in walls for a customer of my step fathers and when I went to buy the in wall stuff from a shop that specializes in that kinda thing, the shop owner expressly told me that you never solder speaker wire. Guess I shoulda asked why. The second guy that told me the same thing was the owner of Audio Lab in Wilmington NC. That man hand makes some of the finest speakers in the world down to drawing his own voice coils through a vacuum to coat them with whatever he uses. He also told me "you don't solder speaker connections".
well ive heard from many many MANY MANY people in the car audio industry that its the best thing to do when balancing saftey and best conductivity. and many of these people are experts who have won comps, also many are people who own shops. i could def see not soldering for in home use, cause whats the point? in a car there are high temperatures that can melt the adhesive on electrical tape and of course theres very limited space so often the wires are tight or being pulled on when doing anything with the deck or dash. so a connection with tape caps or crimps may not be safe. and in a house you really dont have any of those worries at all. thats why those copper caps are often used in household settings. theyre great conductors and easy to use. doing any kind of soldering or...coppering? lol....in a house would be a waste of time and money.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:43 PM

I never have and never will. Like I said before, decent speaker wire for compnets is 12-14 gauge. I use 10 gauge and 8 on the subs (when I have some). To get wire that thick hot enough to solder right will take so much heat the insulation will begin to melt and the wire is probably getting brittle. At least if a wire untwists or the snap connectors pop off you can fix it right then on the fly. When solder F's up you gotta strip wire back and twist it for a quick fix or wait until you have time and a soldering gun....all to make a connection slightly less optimal. It almost seems like reaching over your shoulder to wipe your *** to me.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not talking about in-house. Theres no way i'm gonna twist wires together and tape them, and tuck them into my car. what if the current goes up, melts the tape, creates a short, and starts a fire. Then you're f-ed. the only way solder will f up is if you f it up.