Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Where to put the radio

Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Beginning Member
Imperator is on a distinguished road
Default Where to put the radio

Hey i'm trying to figure out where to put a radio in my k5.
I want to keep the original radio working.
Did anyone do it before and how??
Pictures would be nice!!

Old 04-04-2010, 01:20 PM
Beginning Member
Eraston is on a distinguished road

Incase im understanding this wrong, im gonna ask. Do you want to put 2 recievers in your car?(stock and aftermarket?)

if so, i dont even know if this is possible and im sure it's not recommended at all. I would imagine there would be alot of wire tapping

The only place i can imagine that would be OK would be the glove box (i've seen it done on other vehicles in there) but you would have to make a brace to hold it in place otherwise its gonna fly all around and rattle like crazy.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Speedcult is on a distinguished road

A few places I can recommend. If you have bucket seats like my 80 K5 did,

This actually works well and keeps it secure, but seemed to make the cd player skip more. External MP3 hookup helps here. One guy I admire for a really CLEAN install:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/207692
But some other places I know of... my brother in law had an 89 Suburban hunting rig. Bed liner sprayed the whole interior and exterior. Mounted his CD player between the 2 sun visors using a "under dash kit". Ran the wires through the A-pillars. Kept the radio out of harms way. Down side was the small bolts used. He had to mark and drill the roof, silicone the bolts which he fed from the outside IN and then painted the inside part black to match. Barely noticed once he had the truck sprayed. Even then, who is going to be looking at the roof lol.

Another friend mounted his behind the dash. The faceplate he mounted in his rearview mirror (since couldn't see out of it anyway) and another place we thought of was the visor. Didn't do that because it sucks to have to flip down the visor everytime to adjust the controls. We had to splice in pc ribbon cable between the pins of the deck and faceplate. The only thing was a cut out slot of the dash big enough to feed CD's into the deck and push the eject button. Very clean and different.

Just depends on how much time you want to spend on the install, if you're going for stealth or whatever.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Eraston
Incase im understanding this wrong, im gonna ask. Do you want to put 2 recievers in your car?(stock and aftermarket?)

if so, i dont even know if this is possible and im sure it's not recommended at all. I would imagine there would be alot of wire tapping

The only place i can imagine that would be OK would be the glove box (i've seen it done on other vehicles in there) but you would have to make a brace to hold it in place otherwise its gonna fly all around and rattle like crazy.
I don't want to use the stock radio. It's an AM radio and i only get british gibberish on. So there would be no problem wiring it up. I thought about the glove box but i can't reach it while driving. I know remote...
I'll think it over

thanks

Old 04-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Speedcult
A few places I can recommend. If you have bucket seats like my 80 K5 did,

This actually works well and keeps it secure, but seemed to make the cd player skip more. External MP3 hookup helps here. One guy I admire for a really CLEAN install:
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/207692
But some other places I know of... my brother in law had an 89 Suburban hunting rig. Bed liner sprayed the whole interior and exterior. Mounted his CD player between the 2 sun visors using a "under dash kit". Ran the wires through the A-pillars. Kept the radio out of harms way. Down side was the small bolts used. He had to mark and drill the roof, silicone the bolts which he fed from the outside IN and then painted the inside part black to match. Barely noticed once he had the truck sprayed. Even then, who is going to be looking at the roof lol.

Another friend mounted his behind the dash. The faceplate he mounted in his rearview mirror (since couldn't see out of it anyway) and another place we thought of was the visor. Didn't do that because it sucks to have to flip down the visor everytime to adjust the controls. We had to splice in pc ribbon cable between the pins of the deck and faceplate. The only thing was a cut out slot of the dash big enough to feed CD's into the deck and push the eject button. Very clean and different.

Just depends on how much time you want to spend on the install, if you're going for stealth or whatever.
I thought about putting the radio in the center console but i finally got some cup holders in a car. I might make a construction to mount it on the front of the console.

A guy on the dutch chevy forum has one installed in the chrome trim next to the glove box.

I like the idea of the '87 you linked. I might copy that. The speaker placement is quite nice too.

Thanks for the ideas!!!

Attached Thumbnails Where to put the radio-herschaaldekopievandsc0k.jpg