Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Will these ms-62c components fit in my 2003 4 door LS Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 08:47 PM
2003LS is on a distinguished road
Default Will these ms-62c components fit in my 2003 4 door LS Blazer?

So...after reading through all the speaker reviews for component speakers I decided on the MS-62C JBL speakers for my blazer. Now on Cruchfields website it says that they wont fit my car. Will these fit...and if not whats my next best choice? I know its personal preferance but please make a suggestion if you have heard any other speakers that sound this nice.
I like to turn up the volume and dont listen to any of that hip-hop rapp music. Its old school for me or nuthin...Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica of course, Die, Halen, Led Zepplen ,,,you get the picture. So I need some that will withstand that type of stuff. Im gonna get a 4 channel quality amp and run 200 up front and bridge 400 for a woofer in the future.

If the JBLs will work then amazon has them for 250....help me decide.

Thanks so much for your time

Jay
Vancouver Wa

Old 05-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Take Me To The Top

Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 2003LS
So...after reading through all the speaker reviews for component speakers I decided on the MS-62C JBL speakers for my blazer. Now on Cruchfields website it says that they wont fit my car. Will these fit...and if not whats my next best choice? I know its personal preferance but please make a suggestion if you have heard any other speakers that sound this nice.
I like to turn up the volume and dont listen to any of that hip-hop rapp music. Its old school for me or nuthin...Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Metallica of course, Die, Halen, Led Zepplen ,,,you get the picture. So I need some that will withstand that type of stuff. Im gonna get a 4 channel quality amp and run 200 up front and bridge 400 for a woofer in the future.

If the JBLs will work then amazon has them for 250....help me decide.

Thanks so much for your time

Jay
Vancouver Wa
Okay brother, this is where you have to make a decision on what you really want and if you're willing to spend the time, effort and money in making it work right.

Those JBL's will fit the truck, that's no problem, but they won't do it without some modifications. Crutchfield lists them as not fitting because they don't perfectly fit the flimsy factory plastic baffles on the doors. In all reality you don't want to use those anyway as there is a tremendous loss of output, midrange clarity, etc. from using that crap. If you're willing to spend $250 on a quality set of components then you should also be willing to ensure they're installed as close to ideally as possible.

Replacing the crappy factory plastic baffles is a must. It's not a necessity to go to the lengths I did in my build to do it, but at least mounting them to something solid is key. Sound deadening including CCF (closed cell foam) and MLV (mass loaded vinyl) will make another really huge difference. It's not the cheapest addition to the installation but it does make some of the biggest difference. I really love the SDS (SoundDeadenerShowdown.com) products, they're truly great and the owner will not sell you more than you need for your application but even if you feel that's too expensive something like the products from RaamAudio (RaamAudio.com) work quite well and are a less expensive option that is still a quality product to use.

When it comes to tweeter placement the best suggestion I can make is to connect a fair length of wire so you can move them around, stick some doublesided tape or a loop of duct tape to the back of the tweeter and stick them in different locations. Listen to them in each location for a couple of days worth of listening before moving them to really get a feel for what they sound like in each location. It would also be helpful to try reversing the phase (switching + and -) on one, the other, then both to see how the phase interaction affects the sound before moving them to the next location (why it should take at least a couple of days worth of listening). Once you decide on what location and phase relation sounds the best permanently mount them there.

It's a lot of work to perform all the steps above but I can pretty well guarantee that work will pay off and the results will be nothing short of amazing.

What HU are you running or planning to run? If it has DTA (digital time alignment) be sure to set that and readjust every time you move the tweeters. Also, if it has the ability to go active (powerful enough crossovers to not need the passive ones) I would highly suggest going that route as well.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 05-18-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Wow thanks for the reply. Really helps. I am going to have everything installed professionally but will wait to mount the tweaters. I had already planned on useing sound deadening material on the inside and outside of the doors. I read about that in another thread. Im 43 and have installed many a amp and stereo way back when...but I now dont want to mess with it.....plus I have a few more coin then when I was 16 hehehe.

I havent picked out the HU yet....shoot....I dont even know if its a double din in my Blazer. I think it is because its pretty good size. I was thinking Kenwood. Something around 200 bucks. I am gonna get a quality amp also. Decisions like this are tough for me.

Jay

Old 05-19-2013, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by 2003LS
Wow thanks for the reply. Really helps. I am going to have everything installed professionally but will wait to mount the tweaters. I had already planned on useing sound deadening material on the inside and outside of the doors. I read about that in another thread. Im 43 and have installed many a amp and stereo way back when...but I now dont want to mess with it.....plus I have a few more coin then when I was 16 hehehe.

I havent picked out the HU yet....shoot....I dont even know if its a double din in my Blazer. I think it is because its pretty good size. I was thinking Kenwood. Something around 200 bucks. I am gonna get a quality amp also. Decisions like this are tough for me.

Jay
I would imagine the HU is 1.5 DIN in that truck like most of the rest. Kenwood makes a solid deck and you can pick up the higher end units like the KDC-X996 (2012 model) for right at $200. They have all the bells and whistles to get just about any setup sounding great. We have a 991 (much older model) in my wife's mini-van that has served us very well for quite some time now.

I can understand not feeling like messing with the installation now. It's a fair amount of work that can often get quite frustrating. If you're going to have a shop do the installation I would be certain to talk with them at great length about exactly how they're going to do the installation to be sure it's done as good as it should be. Most things like installing custom baffles in a door for a speaker are unfortunately not part of the standard installation. You'll have to specifically ask for those sorts of things and the unfortunate side of that is going to be a rise in the price of the installation at an exponential rate.

Just out of idle curiosity, what kind of budget are you looking at for this? Obviously if you're looking at a $250 set of components and a $200 HU you're not really looking to skimp on it.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 PM

Hey there:

I am going tp try and keep it all under $1000 if I can. I am thinking I will get a 4 channel 600 watt amp. That should be 150 watts RMS per front channel and in the future I will bridge the rear channels to make 300 watts for a subwoofer. All the new features on the amps are way more then my old pyramid amps that I got for cheap back in the 80s. Back then I thought I was quite the baddass with my 6x9 speakers and 75 watts total...hehehe. The new amps have so many functions I will need help tuneing for sure....let alone knowing what amp to get.

What AMPs are good? I was looking at the Precision Power P900.4. I dunno...what should I get?

Oh and thanks again for your help.

Jay

Old 05-21-2013, 09:35 AM

The Precision Power is a fine amp. PPI isn't the same as it was back in the good 'ol days but they're still a fine budget option. Two other good PPI options would be the S760.4 and BK800.4 as well.

A pricier but very nice 4 channel amp is the Sundown Audio SAX-100.4 very clean power and very good performing. I've enjoyed using mine in the van and for $385 (can be found cheaper used) it's not completely outrageous in price.

The SoundStream P4.800 is priced like the PPI's. If you can still find a JBL GTO1004 that would be a fantastic amp as well and priced much like the others. The JBL is another one I own and have used.

When it comes to amps there's some brands to avoid like the plague, such as Boss, Power Acoustik, Volfenhag, SPL, Performance Technique, DHD, Phoenix Digital, and just about any other flea market brand with 2000 watt ratings for $100 or less, lol. Otherwise, pretty much any reputable brand that fits within your budget should do you just fine. As for all the controls, if you get a good HU that offers all the controls you need built into it then the only one you'll ever need to touch on the amp would be the gain.