Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

ghetto wire?(not sure what to call)

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Beginning Member
CoffeeAddict is on a distinguished road
Default ghetto wire?(not sure what to call)

Alright so I know that deleting the rear speakers in the 4dr LS would be easy as heck. Just really remove and cap wires. It's what I'm planning on installing in place of them that is going to make this interesting.

Alright so basically what I'm planning is to remove the rear door speakers and then cut the wires at about the door frame and then add some length using probably 10g speaker wire and then wire that to some rather nice Stereo speakers that I have. The reason behind this is because quite honestly I just can't afford to buy new speakers for the thing just yet and barely have sound coming out of the front.

so I guess the question would be is this.
Would the factory wiring support this or would I have to add an amp or something along those lines for this to work properly? I've installed stereo speakers in one of my cars before and it worked off the factory wiring.

(I know I'm going to get crap for even thinking about this.)
Well let it begin lol.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:05 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Depends on the speakers.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:09 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

This is what you need. rather than hack job your truck, just save up some change and look in the couches. they are cheap, and will do a fine job. you are already going to take the door panels off to do what you are talking about right? why not just change them out.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Twip
This is what you need. rather than hack job your truck, just save up some change and look in the couches. they are cheap, and will do a fine job. you are already going to take the door panels off to do what you are talking about right? why not just change them out.
biggest reason is I already have the stereo speakers. Rather than going out and spending the money to replace all the speakers in the truck (which is what I will eventually do) that is money that needs to go towards replacing the tie rod ends (possibly both inner and out on both sides, it needs a complete brake replacement, and the tires need to be replaced. from what I'm finding that is going to be right around 700 or so in itself. Right now I'm between jobs so all the money I do get in is going into saving to get that stuff replaced first. I honestly don't even have to cut the wires I could just tap into them where they connected to the speakers and then run then wiring along the floor to the stereo speakers. so wouldn't even really remove any of the existing wiring just add some length and give me some type of audio in the mean time.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:27 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

When you say stereo speakers, are you talking about speakers for your home? if so, its going to sound horrible.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:44 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

I used to do this all the time years ago when I was young. I had (still have actually, though not in running/drivable condition) a 1970 chevy heavy half and when me and my friends wanted to go cruising they'd load up in the bed of the truck and I'd run wires from my amp out the back window to a pair of 15" in house speakers. Was great at the time and we had lots of fun with it.

Of course when I look back at it now it wasn't the best idea and no it didn't sound great but it served the purpose.

Now, with that said OP, if it's just temporary I can't see how it would hurt anything at all and the wire itself has no bearing at all on whether or not it would/could/should work. The only point of concern would be the ohm load on the HU but considering almost all home speakers are 8 ohm it's not a problem with what you're doing.

Would I recommend doing it? No.

Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? Only if the OP really feels he has no other choice.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
I used to do this all the time years ago when I was young. I had (still have actually, though not in running/drivable condition) a 1970 chevy heavy half and when me and my friends wanted to go cruising they'd load up in the bed of the truck and I'd run wires from my amp out the back window to a pair of 15" in house speakers. Was great at the time and we had lots of fun with it.

Of course when I look back at it now it wasn't the best idea and no it didn't sound great but it served the purpose.

Now, with that said OP, if it's just temporary I can't see how it would hurt anything at all and the wire itself has no bearing at all on whether or not it would/could/should work. The only point of concern would be the ohm load on the HU but considering almost all home speakers are 8 ohm it's not a problem with what you're doing.

Would I recommend doing it? No.

Can it be done? Yes.

Should it be done? Only if the OP really feels he has no other choice.
Now I'm not going to say that there is no other choice because there is. I could go spend the money and replace them all. That being said I'm thinking about going this route for now because instead of putting the money into the speakers (as stated earlier) I'm putting it aside for all the mechanical things I have to fix.

But what I'm getting from your reply is this. pretty much as long as it is 8ohm it should not be a problem? what about drawing too much watts?

sidenote: was just reading up on the speakers that I have for my stereo and they are 12ohm. Might end up getting at least one of the speakers linked above then.

Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Speakers don't "draw" watts or power, they're dumb, they only do what we tell them to do in the environment we choose to tell them to do it in.

That being said, 8 ohms, 12 ohms, 16 ohms it really doesn't matter that's not going to overload the amp chip in the HU unless you got like twenty four 12 ohm speakers and wired them all in parallel to the HU. That would end up with a .5 ohm load and certainly burn up the amp chip. Otherwise they're not going to hurt a thing they just technically won't get as much power from the HU. If the HU amp can give 20 watts of power into 4 ohms, it will give about 10 watts of power into 8 and about 7.5 into 12. Are you really going to be able to hear that difference? Maybe, though I doubt it would be readily noticeable.