Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Wiring Looms - where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:22 AM
Beginning Member
paulf707 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiring Looms - where are they?

Hi all - I'm a Chevy Newbie!

I've got a UK model '99 Chevy Blazer, and I've got a few (fairly minor) electrical mods I want to do. I'm fairly competent with electrics in general, but not very familiar with the Chevy (yet!).

Can anyone tell me if there are any 'easy' locations to access various parts of the wiring looms to make changes (ideally without having to remove dashboards etc).

The wires I'm looking to find are:

[ul][*]The speaker connections coming from the stereo (I would like to disconnect all the door and dash speakers, and connect some external speakers) I've read the posts on changing the stereo (which I'm not intending to do) and these all involve removing the dash. Is it possible to pick up the wiring loom somewhere else under the dash and cut into the speaker wires?[/ul]

[ul][*]The power supply to the 'auxillary power' sockets below the dashboard (they are currently wired to be permanently on, and I'd prefer them to go off when the ignition is off). I use these to power Sat Nav etc, and it would be more convenient if these shut off automatically when I open the doors (as the stereo does)[/ul]

[ul][*]The wiring coming from the front doors (I'd like to find the wires that control the folding wing mirrors, and trigger them to open/close automatically using a relay).[/ul]
If anyone can give me any clues on where these wiring looms can be found, and if possible the relevant colours of the applicabale wires, then I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,

PaulF

Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wiring Looms - where are they?

Well, for the speakers, you will mostlikely have to either remove the stereo or remove trim at the doors to get to the wires you need... I'd rather pull the stereo and intercept them at that point than try to find them down the line somewhere else.

With the aux power sockets... You would need to wire the circuit in to the RAP (retained accessory power) circuit with a relay, using the RAP power as the trigger for the relay. Well, that is unless you know that the accessories you will be powering will not overload the RAP circuit, then you could just disconnect the outlets from their circuit and power them from the RAP.

On the folding mirrors... Well, all I can say is good luck. I don't even have a power mirror optional wiring schematic in my references. If you can not find a schematic, you'll probably have to draw your own up. But once you know what needs to happen, you'll have to put in a timer to ensure that you don't overtravel the mirror unless the current switch is just a momentary that signals the BCM to either fold or unfold the mirror. But again, without a schematic or even an explaination of the operation of that circuit, I can only speculate.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

speaker wires would be the best to grab at the stereo like Kyle said, because they are all in one place, otherwise, you would have to grab the fronts at each door, and then the backs in the harnesses that run to the rear under each side's carpet.

For the folding mirrors, you will have to pull off the door panel and check the mirror harness as none of our service manuals cover UK models. But once you figure out the wiring, I can give you wiring diagrams to close/open your mirrors with an amarm output, from the factory keyfob, or when you put the car into reverse. The only parts you need would be a relay for the most part.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the input guys...

Speakers - looks like I'll have to take the dashboard off and get to the Stereo that way - although I might look to see if I can find the harnesses running to the rear under carpet. I could then use the fader control to turn off the front speakers...

Aux Power - could you give me a clue where I could tap into the RAP circuit? - I guess I could tap into the power feed for the stereo (if I decide to take the dashboard off) - but if not, is there a more accessible place??

Mirrors - the mirrors are controlled by a changeover switch, so I reckon I can safely replace that with a relay without having to worry about timers etc. I can control the relay with the existing RAP feed that powers the mirrors now (I can only open/close them when RAP is powered) - but I'll need a permanent 12v feed to power the motors - is there likely to be one in the door wiring somewhere? (I doubt it as all the elec windows only work with RAP.) If I could find one, then I should be able to get the relay to open the mirrors when RAP goes live, and then close them when it goes off (i.e. when I open the door) - which would be perfect.

Thanks for all your help.......

Paul

Old 06-21-2007, 12:34 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

the front speaker wires you can snag where they go into the front doors.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:21 AM
Beginning Member

Managed to get half an hour this weekend to look at the Chevy - I tried to find the wiring harnesses going to the back speakers... I removed the plastic trim from floor edge by the door, and could get my hand a few inches under the carpet (most of it seemed to be stuck down) and couldn't feel any wires in there at all.

Can anyone tell me exactly where these wires would be?

Thanks

Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Xtreme Blizz is an unknown quantity at this point

For the folding mirrors. I just discovered in the LMC truck catalog sells the mirror folding switch. It is 59.95 It does not show where the switch goes but it shows the switch is connected by 4 wire flat plug. I provided a picture. Its item #9 in the bottom left