Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Wheel/Rim spacers, are they okay?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:46 AM
Beginning Member
calee4nyaboy is on a distinguished road
Default Wheel/Rim spacers, are they okay?

Hi guys,

I wondered if anybody used wheel spacers/adapters on their ZR2 to change how much the tires stick out? I have an ’01 Blazer ZR2 and noticed that the back wheels are about an inch back inside the wheel well, while the front wheels stick out a little bit more at about 3/16’’ out of the wheel well. I wanted to match the rears to the front and if I put say a 1 inch spacer on each back wheel they would stick out almost exactly like the fronts do. Basically, I just don’t really like it how the back axle looks so narrow and does not match the front.

This post is NOT about whether somebody thinks this will look good or bad. I am not looking for a debate on that. I just wanted to know if they are safe and okay as I’ve never used them. The ones I saw are an inch thick, have holes to be bolted to the hub just like any rim would be, and then there are 5 studs sticking out to bolt your wheel to.

Anybody’s experiences or knowledge on this would be appreciated!

John

Old 11-18-2009, 10:01 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I've got 1.25" spacers on the rear and haven't had any problems. This includes daily driving, road trips and offroad. There are a couple of pics in my photo album that might show you how it looks with the spacers.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Monkeyman is on a distinguished road

Long term they can lead to axle damage as there's more stress on the axle/components. All S10s (and the SUV/GMC variants) have a narrower rear track. I would say 1/2" or less spacer is probably OK, but any more than that and you're asking for trouble. On the other hand, there are some who have a 3" Tbar crank with no problems. Doesn't mean it'll work without issues for most.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I have never heard of spacers on a rear STRAIGHT axle causing any type of axle damage, let alone components as there are none. I'll agree with them might causing undo stress on the front end of an IFS, much the same as running wheels with too little backspacing.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
BusaJoe is on a distinguished road

You should not have any problem as long as you buy quality ones. I used to sell them.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by AJBert
I have never heard of spacers on a rear STRAIGHT axle causing any type of axle damage, let alone components as there are none. I'll agree with them might causing undo stress on the front end of an IFS, much the same as running wheels with too little backspacing.
You've never heard of a straight axle bending or all the bearings, etc?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Monkeyman
You've never heard of a straight axle bending or all the bearings, etc?
Straight axles bend from being overload by weight, not an 1.25" spacer. Bearings fail mainly due from extended use and/or abuse. Putting a spacer on is the same as putting on rims with less backspacing.

I am truly having a hard time understanding your logic on this matter.

Old 11-20-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by AJBert

I am truly having a hard time understanding your logic on this matter.
I have no doubt. Do some research and you'll end up agreeing with me.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM
BusaJoe is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Monkeyman
I have no doubt. Do some research and you'll end up agreeing with me.
This can happen when we are talking of extreme differences. Not 1 inch!

Old 11-20-2009, 11:48 PM

Apparently, you have your opinion and I have mine. I've seen what an inch or two can do. These trucks aren't the strongest in the world but anyone is free to do what they wish with their truck. I won't use them but I don't care if other do.

HAGO