Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Working on some door pods (first gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Working on some door pods (first gen)

ORIGINAL: Blazin_Jason
After doing so I was looking on s10forum (Zygoats favourite)
yea... almost[:'(]. actully the fourms are good just some of the staff thats not, and even at that most of the staff are good too.

ne way. lets see some pics!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:55 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: neo71665

Too late now but fleece aint the best stuff to use, it it soaks up too much resin, makes most guys not use enough layers of glass cause they think its stronger that it really is. Three to 4 layers aint really enough and will crack if bumped too hard with a careless foot, your gonna want to add another 3-4.

Spandex or even an old t-shrit work better for a backing, stays thinner with the right amount of layers of glass. Also using this if it doesn't look thick enough it aint.
Fleece comes out the nicest IMO... At the local audio shop Ive seen some done with a t-shirt that had to be prepped ALOT before vinyl. With fleece you should get a better starting point. But as i mentioned above you should soak the inside of the enclosure with resin and apply glass sheets from uderneath on the back side of the fleece. This will be FAR superior to a t-shirt and pantyhose strength wise IMO.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:28 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Fleece because it soaks up so much resin and is thicker gives guys a false sense of structure. Its weaker than you think. I started out using it but like I said it can be done and done right but will be thicker and add more weight than using spandex (what I prefer) or a t-shirt. I've never tried pantyhose. I still wouldn't turn anything out with less than 8 layers of glass. As far as covering, most of the stuff I've done has been paint ready when I'm done with it so covering shouldn't be a problem.

The local shops around here use fleece cause they can turn a product out faster with it and as long as it lasts till the warrenty runs out they don't care. If you see them building something for a personal ride or for comp use its a whole 'nother story.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Well after applying the mat, I applied some kitty hair, and some body filler. It's pretty smooth but could use more work if it was going to be painted. I thought I could get some tweed locally, but nobody has any. So I am waiting on an order from yourautotrim for some. Overall I am pretty happy with how it's going so far. They are pretty much ready to be covered once it arrives. I'm thinking about maybe applying some resin to the rest of the hard board to protect from water.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:49 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

do you really need protection from water? I would hope that the interior of your car doesnt get soaked in water.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:57 AM

Nope not the inside, but the rear part against the door. I need to get new window seals as mine are all rotten.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:30 AM

I would suggest you build a water deflecting device to attatch to the inside of the door skin to divert the water instead of trying to battle the elements. IT is best not to have any chance of water near your speakers.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:42 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I'd suggest just fixing the window seals.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:05 AM

window seals is a false term, or sense of security. Every vehicle out there (even brand new cars) will still leak water through the "seals". This is why ever car has drainage holes in the bottom of the door.

Old 04-06-2008, 11:45 PM

Bit the bullet and just ordered some new window seals for both my trucks Needs to be done though. The speakers don't sit very far into the door anyways. Just don't want too much moisture to be absorded into the wood is all I was thinking of.

Quick Reply: Working on some door pods (first gen)