Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

[PROJECT] It's About That Time

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:22 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

I think leafs are more clean looking that shackles too. The long leafs are definitely the way to go. I added a short one and it didn't do much for me.

I hope that you have a tough air ratchet, and that the bolts aren't too terrible for you. Mine were road bashed to hell, and the air ratchet was weak. We ended up having to use a ton of Kroil to loosen up the rust a bit, then heat the bolts with a torch, then quickly wrench them by hand as fast as possible. Then rinse and repeat.

It took us about 3 1/2 hours, and that was with the short leafs that didn't have to be put in the middle of the others. All in all if everything goes smoothly it shouldn't be terrible. It's a bit of work but better than forking out a ton for a shop to do them.

Good luck!!

Old 07-27-2010, 12:17 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by RangerG
It's a bit of work but better than forking out a ton for a shop to do them.
besides, that's one more thing you can say "i did myself!".

Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RangerG
I think leafs are more clean looking that shackles too. The long leafs are definitely the way to go. I added a short one and it didn't do much for me.

I hope that you have a tough air ratchet, and that the bolts aren't too terrible for you. Mine were road bashed to hell, and the air ratchet was weak. We ended up having to use a ton of Kroil to loosen up the rust a bit, then heat the bolts with a torch, then quickly wrench them by hand as fast as possible. Then rinse and repeat.

It took us about 3 1/2 hours, and that was with the short leafs that didn't have to be put in the middle of the others. All in all if everything goes smoothly it shouldn't be terrible. It's a bit of work but better than forking out a ton for a shop to do them.

Good luck!!
Did you put new leaf spring bushings in when you added yours? I'm looking at the energy suspension polyurethane kit for all of the bushings on the truck. They're old and cracked and are begging to be replaced.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Thats what Ill be grabbing for mine too, the NAPA guy said he can get it in for me. Comes with ALL the bushings for the vehicle, even control arms too!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:11 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Did you put new leaf spring bushings in when you added yours? I'm looking at the energy suspension polyurethane kit for all of the bushings on the truck. They're old and cracked and are begging to be replaced.
If I recall correctly we didn't take the leaf springs off either side. We just dropped the shocks down, then because it was a short leaf, we just threw it on the bottom of the stack and bolted it up again. So no bushings.

The 2 door has the bushings right up tight against the gas tank, where you cant get a ratchet in, so using a wrench would have been a PITA.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Hahahahaaha, $450 to re-arch and add a long leaf to the pack! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Just searched for instructions on adding long leafs, methinks I can handle it.

So besides tires, the shopping list is:

Long leaf AAL
Rear leaf spring polyurethane bushings
U-bolts
5 gallons of PB Blaster
First Aid Kit

Old 07-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Ya I think it cost me $300-$350 to re-arch my springs and add a leaf for the blazer. Plus then add on new u-bolts so it's about right. That was with me R&R them myself. That's why on the other trucks they got an extra stock leaf that I put in. Much cheaper

Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TripleBlackBlazer
Hahahahaaha, $450 to re-arch and add a long leaf to the pack! HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Just searched for instructions on adding long leafs, methinks I can handle it.
really?

i guess my spring guy must like me then (he must, i've known him for almost 20 years now!)

he quoted me $460 for BN leaf packs, adding another upper one, and re-arching them to match a t-bar crank.

i thought it was kinda high, but it's been awhile since i had any leaf work done.

maybe i won't do it myself then.

hey Thomas, how much was that ES kit? i need to do the front/rear SB bushings as well.

sorry Gary, not trying to jack your thread. i'll PM him.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 07-28-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:11 PM
BF Veteran

Re-arching necessary? Yay or nay? I'm assuming if my springs look flat then it's a good idea?

Old 07-28-2010, 07:49 PM
BF Guru

i would say yes then.

personally, i'm getting the new HD packs arched so i don't have the unsightly shackles.

Quick Reply: [PROJECT] It's About That Time