Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

01 to 96 Power Heated Mirror Swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I bought my Blazer last year, and the passenger side mirror had a crack in the bottom of arm, which caused it to shake horribly when I was driving. I was pretty sure that the message across the bottom of the glas should have read "Objects in mirror are MUCH more stable than they appear." I've been searching for a replacement at the local pick and pull, with little success. I finally found a fresh blazer there with power mirrors, but it was an 01 with heated mirrors. I was pretty sure I had read a thread on this forum about someone attempting the same swap, so I decided to go ahead with it.

I found a thread where Kyle had posted schematics on the wiring for each year, and using that and a few years of 12 volt electronics experience I made the swap. It turned out a lot easier than I was expecting. The only snag I ran into is that my Left and Right are reversed. I switched quite a few things in the wiring, but anything else I did only messed up other things. I finally left it with Vertical working normal, and left right reversed.

Personally I like the look of the newer style mirrors better, and my passenger mirror being stable now is a major plus.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them uploaded.

EDIT: Sorry I posted a link to ebay instead of the proper link. Its fixed now.

Last edited by El_Beautor; 07-30-2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Wrong Link
Old 07-30-2009, 11:46 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough
Default Pictures.

You can see some pictures here.
Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the wiring, but if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. I got all my information from Kyle's post referenced above.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

What years came with the heated option? Where was the switch for them located?

Old 08-09-2009, 01:16 PM
BF Veteran
Default Heated Mirrors

I'm pretty sure that the heated mirrors were available from 98 and up on top models. They were activated with the same switch that activates the rear defrost.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:20 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I found out when I went to pick up my blazer that it has heated mirrors even tho they were not listed on the ebay ad. What a nice surprise.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 AM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

im thinking of doing this, as both my mirrors need replaced.

by chance did you get the left/right straightened out?

for instance a 97 blazer with 99+ mirrors should be: drivers side left & right direction control would be light blue truck wire connected to the white mirror wire

pass. left/ right control would be purple & white truck wire connected to the red & white mirror wire ..... correct ?

the plug view diagrams seem pretty straight forward, i dont understand why it would be backwards.