Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

05 Blue Blazer Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 02:58 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reway
Wow, I haven't heard of anybody getting Covid in a good while now! Hope you guys get better soon.

The blazer has been really acting up lately, it's time I vent a little. So I posted about the front driveshaft cv joint being loose, thinking that was the problem I took it apart and put a new U joint on the axle side and a new cv joint on the t-case side. After all that work and painting every part separately, it drove the exact same, although the driveshaft is now all tight so I guess that's good. Then I had enough because my blazer sounded like it was falling apart driving down the road and took it up top, I found one of my brake caliper bolts very loose, so I tightened that up and that fixed the metallic clang I had. Then the next day I noticed another horrible clunk and found one of my sway bar link bushings just broke off, so I replaced that and it was a lot better. Then yesterday I noticed the rad support was coming off the mounts and clunking so I welded up some oversized washers and put them in, that has seemed to solve a lot of the noise going over bumps now. However, I'm left with the one clunk I started with that feels like it's in the body right under my feet! It only happens when I turn left pretty much and I have narrowed it down to the fender, when I hit it near the bottom I can hear what sounds like a washer or bolt clanging around in the inside of the fender. I think I will have to take the inner fender off this weekend and investigate further. I have the 1 ton bracket coming on Friday and the 1 ton idler arm is already here so it should be a good weekend! Just have to figure out this cooling problem.
Thanks! COVID is defintely still with us, but it has now morphed into variants that are not so deadly and the news media is not covering it. Kind of like a nasty flu. My wife is an operating room nurse and this came from her work. I was Pfizer immunized early on and had the third booster shot a year ago. Unfortuantely the virus has now morphed enough for the original immunization to not work so well. They are covering current COVID strains in the new vaccine to be issued next month. Lucky us! Watch for COVID to hit the news again later this fall.

How about the body bolt underneath your left foot. Mine made noise when turning, when traveling over my curb between driveay and street - when body twisted.

Last edited by LesMyer; 08-18-2023 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 01:50 PM
reway is on a distinguished road

Thats crazy! I will keep a look out to hear about that. So I took the inner fender off yesterday and found one of those nut clips in the bottom of it, however, it still clunks! So it's coming from somewhere else, I have had the body mounts come loose before and this almost sounds exactly like that, but all my body mounts are tight now. It makes the popping when going around a roundabout, going over the curb between my driveway and street, and it must be right below my feet. Hmm, I'm going to go out and check more today, I'll check all the lower arm bolts and front axle diff drop top bolt on the driver side. I found 3/4 diff drop bolts loose on the diff case not too long ago so maybe something is going on there. I also bled the cooling system yesterday with a no spill funnel and once it was warmed up to temp I noticed the upper rad hose piping hot (couldn't hold it for more than a second) and the lower hose was almost cold to the touch? I think something might be going on there, I kind of suspect the thermostat I just installed 2 months ago but it was a GM genuine so I'm skeptical that it would go bad this quickly. I'll also look at that more today, hopefully I can get a new battery in my IR temp gun and get some numbers.

Old 08-22-2023, 01:04 PM

Well, I have been driven insane from this clunk! Calling all help here lol. So over the weekend, I found the upper shock mount was a bit loose, and a few of the body mounts were a bit loose, after tightening everything up it still clunks just the same. I swear I have been around this whole truck trying to move things and making sure bolts are tight and can't find this clunk!! Here are a few videos of the clunk, it sounds so bad you would think it would be an easy find. One thing is for certain, it's going to feel really good when I finally find and fix this one. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bD4YH4dnCzU https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-glI8f4AJJ0

Old 08-22-2023, 03:34 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Sounds suspension related to me.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:46 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reway
Well, I have been driven insane from this clunk! Calling all help here lol. So over the weekend, I found the upper shock mount was a bit loose, and a few of the body mounts were a bit loose, after tightening everything up it still clunks just the same. I swear I have been around this whole truck trying to move things and making sure bolts are tight and can't find this clunk!! Here are a few videos of the clunk, it sounds so bad you would think it would be an easy find. One thing is for certain, it's going to feel really good when I finally find and fix this one. https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bD4YH4dnCzU https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-glI8f4AJJ0
It is a clunk or a strong click? It sounds more like a click in the videos.

I once had a bad clunk from the rear end of a torsion bar support come loose. Every time I'd go over a bump, I'd feel and hear a thump/clunk.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:59 PM

Thanks, guys. I replaced the T bar mounts a month or 2 ago, still really tight. It feels like a popping or clicking right under my feet, It does not do it every time the susp articulates, it seems to need some side-to-side force like turning left down a curb or a hard left turn. It doesn't make the pop on right turns. Going to have yet another look after work today, agh! It seems I've checked all the prime suspects, body mounts, hood bolts, the susp on this side, and coming up short.

Last edited by reway; 08-22-2023 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:41 PM

Well I may have found the clunk at last. I was running out of stuff to check after going over body mounts, trans mount, engine mounts, hood bolts, fender, front susp, rear susp, and even the evap canister bracket all the way in the back as it has a hairline crack. I drove around with my rear sway bar tied to the frame today because I thought the link may have been hitting the frame causing this. What I found today makes much more sense in terms of the sound and where I hear and feel it coming from, my steering shaft is pretty much a noodle. I was aware of some play in the box up and down as I got a holly lower shaft a bit ago but once I took the plastic boot off the rag joint I noticed almost no play in the rag joint and the play all in the box, however, the upper joint is clicking all around now and feels like its "hanging by a thread". It will be hard to confirm this is what's making the noise without tearing it all apart and replacing the joint, I may try and put a camera in the area and go for a drive later today but that's all I can think of. Anyway, I think this joint has to go regardless of whether it's the clunk or not. Here is a video of the play in the joint.

Old 08-23-2023, 07:39 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Good luck!!!

Old 08-26-2023, 02:06 PM

Mayday mayday!! I am still trying to find that popping, it's not the steering shaft... However I have very bad news, something happened in my steering last night when I was just turning in tight circles making it pop trying to figure that out until I heard this loud noise from the pump. I opened the hood today and power steering fluid was everywhere, came to find the res cap cracked on the top. Now I'm on my way to find a new rad cap at the junkyard, they have a few jimmys there so I have high hopes. What would cause the cap to crack though?? I'm puzzled, I took it for a drive today and everything seems fine, no excessive noise from the pump or anything. Just leaking from the top of the cap.

Old 08-28-2023, 09:56 AM

Okay so I pulled one of the longer tubes with a real dipstick from the junkyard, and unfortunately it does not fit. I jb welded the cap back together and it seems to not be leaking anymore, the question still goes without answer though as to why this even happened!

I have taken the blazer for countless test drives making that popping noise and I still can't figure out where it's coming from, if I had to say, it sounds like it's coming from just behind the door to the rear tire area under the truck. I also had someone beside it while I did the pop and they confirmed it sounded like it was coming from the rear. I jacked up the rear and found I was missing a few leaf spring isolators so the leafs were clanging on each other, put some on and it still pops! I have been through and through on this thing and cannot figure this out, it's driving me nuts.

At least I have some good news here, I put the 1 ton idler on yesterday and my steering feels insane now! I love it. Just needs and alignment and my new tires put on this week and she will be ready for the trip (and maybe figure out this popping sound).

Quick Reply: 05 Blue Blazer Build