Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1986 S-10 Blazer 2WD 2.8Ltr

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Beginning Member
tred2587 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 1986 S-10 Blazer 2WD 2.8Ltr

My project truck has been in progress for about 6 months now. The truck was given to me by my pops so I treasure my baby. I have big plans for her but need a little help to do it. Im mechanically inclined but still young, dumb and full of____... lol... so im still in the learning process of how everything works. My plans are to do a full swap for a 4.3 Ltr V6 yet I dont know if i should go with the typhoon setup or if i should stay tbi. I was thinking of just finding a bravada and taking its powertrain. WOuld be cool to be running all wheel drive. What you guys think???

Old 07-06-2009, 10:00 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

You are not gonna be able to swap in a 4WD or AWD drivetrain into your 2WD Blazer... unless you do something like a solid front axle conversion. A 2WD S10 uses a completely different front suspension than a 4WD / AWD.

Old 07-07-2009, 04:11 AM
Beginning Member

yeah ive been lookin into it ive notice a bit of the difference... ive been lookin into the bravada that has the awd system with upgraded suspencion... im lookin into taking one apart and upgrading my s-10 with its parts... its going to take time but hopefully one day i shall b there... what do you mean by solid front axle conversion...

Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

converting the independent front suspension to a solid front axle, like the old K5 Blazers.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:23 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

In other words, you could get a solid front axle out of something like a jeep Wrangler and make it fit under your blazer.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Beginning Member

interesting... well the problem at hand is i have found two engine setups... one came out of a 1993 s-10 blazer no tranny so i would still have to go find a tranny but it hass all accesories and the wiring harness plus ecm. now there is another out of a 91 1/2 chevy 1500 thats also a 4.3 it has everything... which do you think will b better? first is priced at 350 second is priced at 400

Old 07-28-2009, 03:53 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

The only way I'd take the 4.3 out of the 93 is if it has WAY less miles than the 91... you're getting all the stuff you need for 50 bucks more. I say from the 91.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It will be much easier to swap to a TBI motor. Your 86 should be a TBI motor stock which would leave a few wiring differences to the larger TBI motors. The 93 likely has a CPI motor which would have a number of differences to your current TBI motor. You could swap the top end of the 91 motor over to the 93 bottom end, but you would not really be gaining much.

Something else which has not been mentioned is that the 2.8L is a 60* V engine. The 4.3L and the rest of the Chevrolet V8's are 90* V engines. The transmission will have to be changed out as the one you have will not bolt up to a 90* V engine.

If you are going to go through all of that trouble, IMO it would be more worth your time and money to go to a TBI V8. It really depends on what you want out of the truck as your end goal.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Another option you might want to consider is the 3.4 GM v6. it is also a 60 degree v6. Its externally the same dimensions, and is a popular f-body upgrade from the 2.8. In my opinion it may be a little simpler than a 4.3 swap. Horsepower wise it is similar to the 4.3 but it doesn't make as much torque. There is a bit of an aftermarket for them and they are pretty efficient.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 PM
Beginning Member

all reasonable options.. alright i didnt go with either a couple of things came up so yeah got stuck like chuck... but still in the process. ive made up my mind and i am sticking with the tbi 4.3 lookin for the whole thing from tbi all the way to the tranny... now a couple of questions... just to b sure u know... what all must b changed to swap in the 4.3.. im pretty sure the ecm is one... is the wiring the same as the 4.3 or is it different? cause if its the same man that would definitely save me a great deal of time... is the fuel pump different from the 4.3 or is it also the same??? i know its just a tad bit heavier which is what i want... and what easy and inexpensive mods could i do to it before i put it in to spice it up a bit.. im plannin on painting the engine compartment and the block imma clean it up regasket it all... i already have the radiator for it... what else could i do to give it power...

Quick Reply: 1986 S-10 Blazer 2WD 2.8Ltr