Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1998 Blazer 4 door ZR2 project

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 12:15 AM
Starting Member
hurleyii is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Blazer 4 door ZR2 project

Ok so my torsion bar post has some info on this but here’s the pics.

I have a 2.5” RC lift kit coming ,gas tank, fuel pump, fill neck, all poly bushings already a rebuilt engine, a rebuild kit for tcase, ZR2 axles, ZR2 torsion bars, ZR2 fender flares, a full ZR2 donor for parts. Any suggestions while I’m at this.

Old 10-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Ex-Calif is on a distinguished road

Saw your post in my thread about your bars - nice!

I presume you check fit them in the key and a-arm with the added thickness of the paint. The are a fairly precise fit.

Old 10-29-2019, 07:27 PM
Starting Member

RO lift kit just arrived so I have not . They come painted from gym so with rust removal we should be sloppy in A arms

update. I checked and both sides have enough room to apply like 10 more coats of paint.

Tonights project updates
Applied second application of undercoating . I used the Rust Olean rubberized. Have one section I think I’m going to have to wire brush down and clean off. Tried to paint over after an hour of cure time as a test. That’s a negative using ExooRust paint.
Took a sawzaw and cut ear off front diff and used my die grinder with the wizzer wheel to finely hone it up. Not to bad but God help the person using their supplied template.

As a note guys I have not decided what exactly I will be doing to the frame besides going to town on it with a wire brush.

Last edited by hurleyii; 10-29-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 04:29 AM

Amen to that crap template for cutting the ear off...

I was never a fan of the rubberized undercoating. Used it on an MG and it's like never fully dried up. My kid and I picked some that ends up with a sandpaper like finish. I like it a lot more. I'll try to post a pic of the can next time I am in the garage.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:23 PM
Starting Member

Update guys...
Been a little busy so I haven’t done lots. Spent 2 nights assembling a sandblast cabinet from Harbor freight. Blast gun sucks . Using the biggest blast nozzle it still jambs with medium grit black beauty. So tonight I finally blasted the front diff assembly.
Heres some pics of cabinet and front diff. It’s not as good as I’d like but with it jamming consistently it’s as good as it’s gonna get.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:44 AM

Jealous! What kind of air pressure and volume are you running?

Old 11-12-2019, 07:25 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
Jealous! What kind of air pressure and volume are you running?
Way more then needed my regulator is screaming like a Trex literally so ive cranked it up trying to stop it.
Going to TSC tonight to try and see if they still sell the regulator.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:58 PM
Starting Member

Quick update . Decided as far as this is going I split the front diff to clean it out. Did a practice run on the old 3.42 diff first to see if it was a good idea or not.

Yes both diffs are laying next to each other

Old 11-13-2019, 11:16 PM
Starting Member

Todays progress updates.
Looks like im gonna order new bearings for ther carrier.

Old 11-15-2019, 01:36 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

According to the title of the thread, you are turning a 4dr into a ZR2? Very cool.

Could you list the mods you are doing to achieve this? All of this is interesting but in particular is if and how you are going to install the fender flares. I have a set of Bushwacker flares off of a 2dr that I have yet to try to install. It will be the rear doors of course that will pose a challenge. I've even gone so far to download pictures posted at a European wrecking yard that has them for sale (but won't ship to the US) to get ideas on how to modify the rear ones and then install them.

Quick Reply: 1998 Blazer 4 door ZR2 project