Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1998 Blazer bought dd build

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:12 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

It's awesome to see the daily use stuff. I've got an '01 Jimmy that I just dropped a new engine (my fault) and transmission (it's fault) into.

We don't have any cattle but my family farm property has a lot of creek crossings, fields and old pastures that I cross all the time getting firewood, towing our 4 wheelers on a trailer, and all sorts of other regular stuff.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Beginning Member
Blazinredneck is on a distinguished road

Thanks. She's gets used a lot.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Blazinredneck
Rexmburns I saw on your build that you use a cable to lock your front end usin a cable. How hard was it to do, how would I do it and is this the same thing as puttin bravada front shaft in? I'm wantin to get rid of the all the vacuum crap. Also what did you mean by grounding a wire or two out to shift properly in low range? I haven't used low in my blazer. I've been havin problems of it sayin it's in 4hi but it is still in 2wd I put a new switch in and still does it.

For the posilock in its really easy to do. Here's my sticky on s10forum for how to do it and what's required How-to: Converting 4x4 vacuum to cable - S-10 Forum . All it does is replace the vacuum pod under the battery not the shafts like a bravada swap does. I used this setup for a couple years without issue and I know a couple others have copied it as well.

To do a 231 tcase swap you will need to ground one of the ecu wires (forget which one) when in 4hi so that the computer can adjust the transmission. I believe the yellow wire from the 231 shifter is 4LO. Simply ground the 4lo Position and run a length of wire from the Yellow 231 Shifter wire to the correct wire on the ECU harness in the passenger side kick panel. Hope this helps a bit.

Your 4wd issue may be in your diff or vac system if the light is saying its in 4hi and not blinking or anything. Can you here the tcase shift when you push the button?

Old 10-07-2014, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rexmburns
For the posilock in its really easy to do. Here's my sticky on s10forum for how to do it and what's required How-to: Converting 4x4 vacuum to cable - S-10 Forum . All it does is replace the vacuum pod under the battery not the shafts like a bravada swap does. I used this setup for a couple years without issue and I know a couple others have copied it as well.

To do a 231 tcase swap you will need to ground one of the ecu wires (forget which one) when in 4hi so that the computer can adjust the transmission. I believe the yellow wire from the 231 shifter is 4LO. Simply ground the 4lo Position and run a length of wire from the Yellow 231 Shifter wire to the correct wire on the ECU harness in the passenger side kick panel. Hope this helps a bit.

Your 4wd issue may be in your diff or vac system if the light is saying its in 4hi and not blinking or anything. Can you here the tcase shift when you push the button?
Thanks I'll look at your how to.

With the 4wd it won't do anything. None of the lights work on the switch.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member

I've been thinkin about bringin my rear shackle up a notch and crankin the t-bars a bit to get a more height. It needs alignment anyway and my good buddy as an alignment rack so they are pretty cheap for me. Plus I'm gonna trim my fenders and bumpers a bit more. I really need to around my tow hooks cause it's a bit*h gettin a chain on.

Old 10-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Beginning Member

I've been thinkin about a trans cooler to help keep the Trans cooler when towing plus a Trans temp gauge. Plus I've been thinkin about a hidden winch and I found a pic of how I want it to look but can't find any mountin pics.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 Blazer bought dd build-14c7c48e-3126-455c-9c6a-ce85531dd1f3_zpswjjn7bij.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

A trans cooler is a good idea! The winch mount is a Synergy hidden winch mount. Synergy Offroad S10 Blazer Jimmy Sonoma Hidden Winch Mount

Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Rex. I'm still tryin to figure out which winch and cooler. I pull trailers a lot with the farm, and haulin quads durin the summer and my buddy's quad with a blade and snow blowers so I wanna make sure the Trans is cool

Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

You could always run an extra capacity trans pan with cooling fins. I picked
this this
one up, it isn't extra capacity but it supposed to help with cooling.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
You could always run an extra capacity trans pan with cooling fins. I picked this one up, it isn't extra capacity but it supposed to help with cooling.
Thanks. I never thought about that

Quick Reply: 1998 Blazer bought dd build