Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2000 LT Drowned rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 11:57 PM
Starting Member
Black&Chrome is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 LT Drowned rebuild

I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure where to post this, but 'builds' seems logical. I have a 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 with a 4.3l and 4L60e. It has been fully submerged in a freshwater lake for three months with the battery unhooked. Im buying it back from the insurance company for $180 mainly because I have $700 of brand new tires on it; but I would like it to live once again. I already know what most of you will say, but bear with me on this. The truck was very mechanically sound before the flood. The only things wrong were bad rotors and pads, and possibly bad rear wheel bearings. I already know the extent of repairs needed, but my big questions are: Do you think the engine can flushed and cleaned, or should I skip that and rebuild the engine or just swap it; im assuming that the transmission is a total loss. Should I have it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one that maybe hasn't been under water; can the transfer case and rear end just be flushed and filled or would they require repair; and if I thouroughly clean all of the electronics is there a way to prevent oxidation or should I swap out the electronics?

Old 08-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Anything mechanical, or electrical that was submerged will have to be rebuilt or replaced. Not to mention the frame and body will no doubt be rusted. The interior will also be susceptible to a lot of mold. I would suggest getting a professional to really look it over.