Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

85 S15 Jimmy - the Tyclone - LT1 & AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Starting Member
GregW is on a distinguished road

ust got in my new Grant 13" steering wheel and GMC horn button. Its SOO comfortable! Im so excited now, I cant wait to test it out!

I also got the mounting hardware to mount the Corvette fuel rail covers.

I got an original Sonoma GT instrument cluster today! one of 806 made!!!
Its identical to a Syclone/Typhoon cluster except it doesnt have the boost gauge. Works for me cause I dont have a turbo.

- Aluminum coolant overflow bottle.

- steering wheel horn button and install kit
- KYB shocks
- ball joint tool

- battery relocate kit

I also have the window channels, new felts, back glass seals, inner fender rubbers and clips, H4 conversion headlights, new GM sill protectors and screws...

Old 05-19-2009, 06:11 AM
Starting Member

Here is my shop. At the far end is the donor Typhoon which is creating the Tyclone. in the middle is my Typhoon loaded up and going for paint. And then the Tyclone. resting.
See those shelves in the background? Thats the whole Tyclone in boxes and bins. All my parts gathering sits right there.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Starting Member

I got in some new cladding pices. I went with Pauls Select for fiberglass cladding. Clone cladding for the Tyclone.
Front bumper cover and support in fiberglass. Comparison with a stock piece.

Right rear corner cladding. Stock and my new fiberglass piece.

This is a picture of test fitting the fiberglass front bumper cover. Notice the full cladding on the floor beside the truck?

The Tyclone wanted to pose beside Turbodog's Typhoon. Here it is.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Starting Member

Well I have started making some progress. New ZQ8 box, suspension and steering underway. I hate doing this stuff. It sucks.

90+ degrees here but I gotta get going on this...

Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Starting Member

OK, I worked on the Tyclone again today. Work has been slowing down and I think Ill be able to get the truck into the body shop soon. It is going to be Corvette Electron Blue I suppose.

In body it needs the dent fixed on the right quarter panel (thanks Jeff heh heh), emblem holes filled on the fenders, antenna hole shaved, a few misc dings and dents. Trim the rear of the cowl hood for proper fitment.

Then Im gonna give it a quick coat of black to be able to see all the little dings/dents and imperfections in the body. We will fix all those and then take all the black back off and get ready for paint.

Then I will send the fenders, hood, doors, and tailgate through paint to have the underside/insides painted electron blue, plus the door jambs, firewall, and tailgate jamb painted as well. After that its reassembly time!!

So today...
Pulled off the core support and went to work replicating the work that Zach had done on the original one. The truck is an 85, so it came with a 82-90 core support. To convert it to the Ty look I got a 91-93/94 core support from my buddy's 92 Typhoon and have to modify it to fit the radiator and other little details that Zach did to the old style support.
I trimmed out the lower part today to fit the rad in and then repainted it. The rad support still have the Typhoon routing info sticker on it as well. Helps to add to the Tyclone - clone appeal.

Here you can see the piece I removed to fit the rad in.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 AM
Starting Member

Yesterday I worked on the truck. I decided that I was going to get my core support done. Whitfield stopped by and a few hours later... Voila!

To switch over to the 92 Typhoon core support was quite a bit of cutting and drilling. Its all done now and installed.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Installed:

Looking like my beloved clone again.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Starting Member

Here are my hood struts. Love em! Great idea and I cant belive I never did this on any other truck I had.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 AM
Starting Member

Back to work... I never have welded before but Im tired of this truck not being done. So I taught myself to weld on my Tyclone. lol

Shaved the fender emblem holes and antenna.

Chopped off the ends of the frame to fit the roll pan.

Fitted the roll pan and got it in place.

Then I tacked it into place.

Until next time...

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Starting Member

Got the bodywork done on the fenders, hood, doors, tailgate and fuel rail covers. I started blocking them, now just need to continue on.

Stripping down the door.

The doors after their 1st coat of primer and after sanding.

Fuel rail covers after the 1st prime

1st prime

current state of body

Bodywork all done on doors, tailgate and fenders. They need to be blocked again after this priming. Had to go buy a new primer gun and they are lookin good!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:16 AM
Starting Member

I stayed late last night at work to do some more mudwork and prime the whole truck in some slow dry primer NP75
Next week I start blocking the body! Wooot!

My son was very excited to watch. lol

Quick Reply: 85 S15 Jimmy - the Tyclone - LT1 & AWD