Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

94 Jimmy, basic offroad mods this winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM
j.reed is on a distinguished road
Default 94 Jimmy, basic offroad mods this winter

This is my 94 jimmy vortec CPI. Its nicknamed old english, i forget why but ill tell the story later on. I got it for 400$ with no radio, not running, and with a ton of other problems. Ive been fixing it slowly but surely since august and it is now a reliable daily driver and solid offroader that I am proud to have saved from the scrap heap. This will be my unofficial build thread as i make changes over the winter! thanks for reading

I have a few basic bolt ons planned. I have gutted the whole interior, deleted center console, and am planning on bed lining the whole floor. The carpet stunk like cat **** and i dont feel like having to clean it again. My friend who does camaro rear gear sets/lockers/lsds for a part time job is going to install some sort of locker for me...so i need some advice on that. Im also in the process of a custom snorkel after hydrating the engine a few times. Hopefully it wont cause any long term problems. But other than that, i have stock(235/75/15) wrangler duratracs sitting at work waiting for me to purchase and install, and im going to a tiny budget lift consisting of shackles and a t bar crank. any suggestions let me know!!

Last edited by j.reed; 12-15-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Awesome, always glad to see a vehicle get saved like that. So what "bolt ons" do you have planned?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Starting Member
Brianator99 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is pretty cool. It brings back some good memories from when a buddy of mine had a 1st gen the same color. He got it for 600 bucks, we wheeled the crap out of it for almost 2 years, he broke the rear hatch and the rear driver window sliding into a tree winter wheeling. We jumped it one time and got so much air when it landed the blower motor binded up and blew up. It was awesome and it abused the crap out of it and it barely ever broke. The funniest part was he sold it for 800 bucks at the end with rotting fenders and half the parts working.
Not sure if the link will work or not. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=50266178 There was one floating around of him jumping it. here it is. http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=47929028

Last edited by Brianator99; 12-15-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road

that poor truck lol got its a$$ handed to it gift wrapped sheesh

Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Phil
Awesome, always glad to see a vehicle get saved like that. So what "bolt ons" do you have planned?
For the motor? snorkel, aftermarket exhaust, headers, and every tune up part i can possibly find because it still runs a little weird(gonna be done first!). Ive also been reading about replacing the spider with an MPFI setup, i cant remember the name.
I also meant for the truck too, not just the motor - some roof lights, an s10 bumper with a ball if it will fit, im gonna weld up a plate for the front end to cover the front of the frame rails, wheels, tires, lift, locker, new shocks? thats about it nothing crazy. Although my real plans if i have this truck or another blazer is a 350, 4 speed, solid front axle setup. Although i think if i started over it would be with a full size <86 pickup or a k5 blazer

Edit: this was it

http://www.theautoshop.net/VortecMPFI.htm

Last edited by j.reed; 12-16-2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
Big Blaze is an unknown quantity at this point

The injector spider you mentioned will not work on your truck, only 1996 and up engines. You have a CPI Vortec engine, which basically has one injector and tubes to send the fuel to each cylinder, whereas the CSFI Vortec engine has six separate poppet injectors with tubes that send the fuel to each cylinder.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:16 PM

Ah bummer i have a slight vibration under full throttle, almost like the fan is loose. I suspect something is wrong with the PS pump, but could that cause the engine vibration? it has a new waterpump, belt, and alternator, but everything else is original. it seems fine at idle and under normal load however. any ideas?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Beginning Member
Big Blaze is an unknown quantity at this point

It could be the fan, but it would vibrate all the time. You should probably look at drivetrain, possibly a problem with driveshaft balance.