Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

The 95 Money Pit

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 05:42 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The 95 Money Pit

Well guys I guess its time I make a build thread considering Im ***** deep in an engine rebuild now and I have some other goodies I need to get put on there as well.

Well to start with I blew a headgasket.. Well after about 150 bucks of wasted parts compression on cylinders 3 and 4 were stupidly bad. I know should of done a compression test first but ya live and learn expensivly right? Well I thought maybe I just torqued those valves too much. Tear the valve covers off and try retorquing them. Well no luck with that. Compression still sucks. Then I say screw it. Im pulling the whole freaking thing and starting fresh. So I get the engine out of the truck and finished tearing it down yesterday. Seems someones already been in this particular engine. Pistons apear to be stock size and the cylinder walls seem to be ten thousands over with ten thousands rings.. Great found my compression problem. The pistons literaly will fall right in with no effort with out the rings on. Nothing has been confermed by a machine shop yet though. I have to figure out my cost factor on that. Oh and the damn harmonic balancer puller shaft thing broke off in my crank.. Freaking great theres another 150 bucks or more gone (I work at a parts store and can get some stuff decently priced). I am having a very tough time finding a dang rebuild kit for this truck tho. I dont know what so special about the vin W 95s but can someone maybe point me in the right direcetion for a BUDGET but DEPENDABLE rebuild kit??

Anyways some other goodies I have to go on right this second is some new (to me 31s) and a rear tire carrier swing arm. Those will hopefully go on now. There wont be many pictures but of probably after the truck is got the new things on it. I dont own a camera to be snapping pics all the time so sorry guys. Well sorry for the book but hey this is the beggining of the build thread but many things have gone into the damn truck already. Curse me for being a blazer/jimmy lover

Old 05-10-2011, 08:29 PM

Well slight update. I hope next week to get my 31s put on. Engine hasnt been touched yet but Im saving most of my money for that and hopefully in a few more weeks it will go to the machine shop. Hoping by mid- to end of June to be reassymbled and running again. Sometime in this downtime I will get the rear tire carrier put on as well and I hope a few other small things here and there.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:56 PM

Well here we are in August with no progress. The engine is still at the machine shop. The guys cleaner blew the thermostat and my engine was in there so hopefully next week he will have it back up and running and finish mine up. Then it will start going back together. Still havent got the tire carrier put on the back or the 31s put on. Hopefully next week the tires will go on. If I can get ahold of a camera Ill snap a few pics of how it sits right now and throw up on here then get some afters when the tires are on and all and maybe a few of engine progress.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member
dmc919 is an unknown quantity at this point

the 94 and 95 vin w engine use different pistons rings than the vin z / 93 and older or 96 and up but if your replacing the piston then you can use a rebuild kit for a vin z / 93 or older engine considering it uses a very common piston/rings package. i'm in the process of rebuilding my 94 vin w 4.3 and it's been a nightmare. have fun

Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 PM

Got the engine back finally. Its mostly rebuilt now. Need to get the oil pan on and the intake put on the it can go back in the truck. School and finances is slowing down the process though. Ill get some pics of the engine up as soon as I can.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:18 PM

Well not that anyone but me is following this but heres my latest update: Got my PELL check in today so after 6 almost 7 grueling months without the Jimmy I finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. So today I went and bought the rest of my parts needed to finish the engine build and get it running. Mainly waiting to buy the new exhaust manifolds. So tonight I have all the parts to get started on it after class. I have some pics of the engine to put up on here I just havent had the time to get em on here. I also got it lifted last week and my 31s put on but Im waiting on a leaf spring bushing from rock auto to complete that project. So hopefully no later than next monday Ill have it back up and running. Ill try to get pics of the new engine on the stand on sometime soon and also how it sits now with the T bar crank and shackles and the 31s!

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Theres plenty of people reading them actually... We are just silently waiting for photos... It seems that photos are what the great majority are after. Look how many VIEWS your topic has, not the replies. Lots of poeple who arent even members scour these pages and theres lots of poeple who just watch and dont chime in. You have viewers. I am a 1st gen guy too. Feel free to check my thread out too. Ill be posting more pics up this weekend when my bud and I finish the lift, and grind the wheelwells to fit my 32's.

Anyhow, keep up the good work, and get that camera going.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:55 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

It is all about the pics.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 PM

I know I know the pics tell the story. I dont have a lot of pics cause I have a simple flip phone and no digi camera but Ill have my buddy email me the pics of the engine as soon as I get a break from school and everything. And yeah I do watch the views of my thread. I just like to think no ones following haha.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Beginning Member
95chevrolets10blazer is on a distinguished road

Keep updating on your 1995 GMC Jimmy and can't wait to read more posts and pictures. Feel free to read my thread on "Builds" about my 1995 Chevrolet S10 Blazer project.

Quick Reply: The 95 Money Pit