Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

96 ZR2... Vader?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 08:31 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Name:  gSxsYbil.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  64.2 KB

Old 11-17-2018, 10:46 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

It's an awesome little plow truck

Old 11-18-2018, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Thanks! Just need to fix my 4WD and upgrade the front suspension because you can hear the entire thing moan every time I use the plow hahaha.

Old 11-18-2018, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran

Got some sweet LEDs.

Name:  Z9aVRHrl.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  74.5 KB
Name:  UuBUGVpl.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  74.3 KB
Name:  mjLmAHLl.jpg
Size:  46.8 KB
Name:  iZITbfzl.jpg
Size:  50.5 KB

I don't have high beam/low beam, just one setting. Not sure what I did wrong? It was pretty much plug + play.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran

That's bright as hell!

Old 11-19-2018, 02:20 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Huh, poor folks coming opposite.
But for sure enough light.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:31 AM
BF Veteran

I know haha, I feel bad. I'll probably lower the lights to point towards the road more

Old 12-02-2018, 07:24 AM
BF Veteran

I installed a posi-lock cable for the 4WD because my actuator had a rip in it. It was kind of a pain to get everything installed, but it works. Here's the build for that...

Name:  cbEf2udl.jpg
Size:  38.6 KB
The cable I got from here, $24 shipped.
https://www.rcpw.com/truck-accessori...O9D3.5X10.html

Name:  zytEsUll.jpg
Size:  87.9 KB
Old actuator had a rip in the boot.

Name:  3Ex2Aqel.jpg
Size:  62.1 KB
I removed the vacuum line all the way to this hose, there was no sense in keeping a long piece of hose down there for no reason. Just have to plug this up.

Name:  BuJR1fNl.jpg
Size:  82.4 KB
Mocking up where I want to attach the old bracket. It's a tight fit with all the cooling hoses, but it fits.

Name:  pcBZSqjl.jpg
Size:  45.6 KB
I had to trim a piece of the bottom of the fan shroud so the transfer case cable could fit up in the hole nicely.

Name:  qLbIqful.jpg
Size:  48.0 KB
I drilled out the center hole bigger. Turns out I had to drill a new hole anyway...

Name:  i4EIWMVl.jpg
Size:  53.0 KB
I trimmed the cable to almost the right length, then I pulled the cable from the inside and made my final cut. When I pushed the cable back in, I was left with this.

Name:  VmXhbaJl.jpg
Size:  81.8 KB
Name:  Roa0DuWl.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB
Used some nuts/bolts I had lying around to mount it to the fan shroud.

Name:  0yV7szCl.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  58.5 KB
Name:  Xn99UkKl.jpg
Size:  61.8 KB

I used cheap clamps off Amazon to attach the cable. The clamp on top seemed to help. When ever I pulled the cable from inside, the black hosing would want to move instead of the cable itself. This helps.

Name:  Bk8sQtul.jpg
Size:  60.3 KB
Inside view. I made the mistake of mounting the bracket after putting the cable through it and hooking everything up. I couldn't get that bottom screw in all the way... oh well.

Name:  vDcuOQGl.jpg
Size:  97.9 KB
Flex shot

Old 12-28-2018, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran

Not bad... hows the 4x4 working out? Use the plow often so far? Did you use the write up on the install for the pull lever from here on BF?

Old 01-12-2019, 12:58 PM
BF Veteran

Some pretty exciting stuff today, something I've been wanting to do for a while: adding a roof rack to the truck! It's not a perfect fit, and part of that is my visor which I did not want to take off, but I love it.

Name:  Qvphzigl.jpg
Size:  66.5 KB

This is what I used. The rivet kit I got from Harbor freight, it was the cheapest one I could find and the quality seems really good. I used the 1/4-20 inserts and bought bolts from Home Depot. The drill bit was a 25/64. The sealant barely worked, but that may have been because it was about 17 degrees out.

Name:  ww1gdETl.jpg
Size:  81.2 KB

I got rough measurements and took the back mounts off the rack (there's a tiny torx bolt on the bottom and the rails just slide out) and cut the rails down to about 16". I put the back mounts in for now to mock it up. Still a little to long.

Name:  3oV1GEGl.jpg
Size:  72.2 KB

I couldn't shortern it up too much more, so I shifted it forwards over the top of the visor. I cut the bottom plastic "pad", for lack of better term, so it sat more flush.

Name:  9f5x4kOl.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  DL5lHvGl.jpg
Size:  46.9 KB

I didn't take pictures from here on out until I was finished, but I mocked up the rack to be where I wanted it, and used a hole punch in the mounting holes to make a mark. Then I took it off and drilled the holes out. Once I did, I applied sealer around the holes and used the rivet gone to mount the threated inserts. Threw the rack on and bolted it down! Easy.

Name:  DAkkQ8ul.jpg
Size:  88.1 KB
Name:  BxbH8ual.jpg
Size:  93.8 KB

Come spring I'm going to take it off to paint, and I'm going to reseal everything so it's more weather proof and looks better. I'll update with pictures then.

Now I just have to figure out how to mount my shovel and we'll be all set!

Quick Reply: 96 ZR2... Vader?