Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

97 blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:44 PM
Beginning Member
blkfloyd is on a distinguished road

ok i got the front drive shaft out and the encoder motor off the transfer case i will take some pics later of all the steps but i did have one question when the front of the driveshaft came loose the lil caps came off is that a problem?

Old 11-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Beginning Member

starting from left to right picture #1 we have the transfer case shift shaft (top) and the transfer case drive shaft gear (bottom) when prying the driveshaft away from this gear pry in between the transfer case and drive shaft shield

picture #2 is of the transfer case side of the driveshaft! This is a clear picture of the shield that slides on to the case.

picture #3 is of the yoke on the front differential notice the 4 bolts on the yoke which hold brackets clamping the yoke to the driveshaft
these bolts are size 11mm and can be a pain to break loose in that case just use some good pb blast. worked for me. now when you remove the 4 bolts take a pry bar and pry the drive shaft loose do this best way you know how i got mine out after trying several different angles and positions it finally broke loose!

picture #4 is kind of a crappy pic of the front side of the drive shaft

after you get the drive shaft off then you can remove the encoder motor

Attached Thumbnails 97 blazer build-1127001542.jpg   97 blazer build-1127001543.jpg   97 blazer build-1127001543a.jpg   97 blazer build-1127001543b.jpg  

Last edited by blkfloyd; 11-27-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Beginning Member

these are pictures of the encoder motor that controls shift........... notice the three bolt holes these are 10mm bolts once those are out just wiggle it off and unplug it and your set (some people say that this can be done without removing the drive shaft but i found it easier to remove the drive shaft first)

Attached Thumbnails 97 blazer build-1127001507b.jpg   97 blazer build-1127001507a.jpg  
Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Beginning Member

ok i have decided to use something similar to a battery terminal to turn the shaft however since battery terminals are made of such cheap metal then i will have to use something similar but stronger i figure it will tighten around the shift shaft and be strong enough to turn the shaft then i decided on using a threaded rod welded to it. Anybody know of something similar to a battery terminal that i could use?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Steinbruchsoldat is on a distinguished road

Just take the encoder motor apart and use the oem lever that's inside. Thats how i did mine because it's really easy...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:42 AM
Beginning Member

thanks i would do that however i want to save the current encoder motor,tccm,and 4x4 switch because my gf's sister has a blazer and wants her 4x4 fixed b4 the snow hits so im saving the parts that i know or think are good and maybe it will solve her problem i offered to do a manual conversion however she likes the push button system and does not want a conversion! Well the situation on my blazer is this i am running a lil over budget and wanted to re-do the interior so im gonna try to clean out my turn signal/multifunction switch instead of replacing new to save money. There is a tutorial here that tells how to do that and a few other things

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=577320

Wish me luck guys also nobody answered my question about the driveshaft caps

Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You would likely get better responses to your questions if you were to ask them in the appropriate technical section. Just sayin'. The Builds section is to chronicle your progress on your truck and people come in here just to read about and look at peoples rides for ideas, etc.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You would likely get better responses to your questions if you were to ask them in the appropriate technical section. Just sayin'. The Builds section is to chronicle your progress on your truck and people come in here just to read about and look at peoples rides for ideas, etc.
thanks swart,
understood just didnt wanna scatter my questions everywhere but will do that from now on

UPDATE: fixed the turn signal switch problem by cleaning the switch and saved money thats awesome

Old 11-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's more about house keeping than anything else. No worries.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:03 AM
Beginning Member

gonna clean up the interior and order the seat paint today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9sgJT12cNk

this stuff looks awesome its a type of spray fabric dye that dry's soft its called simply spray fabric paint

ill let you know how it goes

Quick Reply: 97 blazer build