Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

97 Blazer - resurrecting the James dream

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

No turns on the TB bolts. They keys are flat on the stops.

Lots of cleaning up to do still, one more oil change (already flushed it once), and tranny filter then a trip to the alignment shop.

The new grille is not on because I didn't want to scratch it while working. The Cat-back off the Jimmy still needs to go on too, but I need to weld a 3-bolt flange on it to make it work.

Some of the remains....

I want to put lights on the front for deer avoidance now that the days are short, I leave when its dark and return at dusk much of the time. What to do...? It will not get a bully bar or anything else that will limit the approach angle....

Old 11-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Starting Member

On the Road. One issue - front axle stays engaged. Actuator is good. Swapped cables. Cable good. Manually it unlocks. I think they vacuum lines might have been fudged by the previous folks and it's getting constant vacuum. Testing at lunch.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:58 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Looking good.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
Banned
djerock is on a distinguished road

looks good nice restart..

Old 11-10-2010, 10:15 AM
Starting Member

All will be well soon.

thanks guys.

Got it aligned and drove it one day and now its apart again....

Alignment shop told me the pitman arm was loose. I looked. Idler arm. Took the one off the Jimmy (very tight) and we're good there.

We'd been smelling anti-freeze and I played the averages and put the radiator from the Jimmy (new) in it. Water pump seal is about gone. By the end of the day it was leaving a puddle. took the one off the Jimmy and it should be in place later today.

Noise in front - wasn't the front axle engaged. That WAS a problem, but I fixed it and wasn't the source of the noise (but I thought it was). Ended up being a bad hub. A hub that was new 10 months ago while the driver's-side hub is still factory original. Weird.

More pics coming soon. I just want to DRIVE IT...!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Starting Member

Passenger-side hub was toast and it was replaced on the Jimmy at the first of this year. Intake gasket is my leak so I have an extra good water pump and radiator.

What fun.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Nice work so far!

Old 11-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Starting Member

Thanks guys. New pics.... Intake gasket leak was the coolant problem. Working on it now.

Yes, I know there is a pole growing out of the roof. I rarely take such and commit photo crimes, but it is what it is.

Not too bad with most of the Jimmy stuff on it. I am parting the Jimmy....

What used to be and what is now.

The other house-horse overlooking the carnage of the GM salvage and repair lot.

Still to do:
intake leak fix
get a RKE fob and program
swap the disc/torsen rear from the Jimmy in
swap the cat-back on
more cleaning and perhaps wax before it gets too cold (needs touch-ups...bit it'll wait)

Need a spare tire carrier. 31 won't fit under so I'll do the swing-thing.

MML in the spring, 32s, 3.73s, bumpers and sliders.

I am in serious lust with a Wynjammer supercharger. Mmmm.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Starting Member

Latest pics.

Got the exhaust from the Jimmy on. That's a catless one-piece y-pipe (2000) and a dynomax cat-back cut for clearance. Had to blow a hole in the y and add another bung for the pre-cat O2 the 1997 had. Tuning needs to happen.

Lots of plans. I'll post later today of where I am at now after being cautioned to not go SAS yet.

Let me know what you think.... I have found the shocks I am going to use and the steering stabilizer stuff.

Found a coupler to use so I can put my spare, large K&N conical on the truck without spending money on a tube and such. I'll cobble that together tonight.

The tires work great in the snow, but this truck is noticeably lighter than the Jimmy.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:19 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

looks good

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer - resurrecting the James dream