Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

97 Blazer - resurrecting the James dream

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:15 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good man. Good build/rebuild/recarnation. What happend to the Jimmy you stripped? I must of missed that somewhere.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

Still sitting on blocks in the gravel. We've had more winter than usual and I've worked a bit more than 100hrs of OT in the past 5-6 weeks (salary...no money, just comp time). Still need to yank stuff and lots of folks asked to buy parts, but I have had no time to spend on it. When I do have time and it's nice out, I'm trying to spend a bit of time with my kids or rest.

Still need to yank the motor, gas tank, and some interior. Pretty much stripped it clean, but much of it is still sitting inside it. I have 2 decent CVs, one new hub, front suspension, lots of interior panels, and tons of other things I am not keeping.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Starting Member

Having some thoughts about how much to do when.

Want to wheel when it warms up.

Thinking on only 2" BL for now, get the diff from the Jimmy in and make some changes for front/rear departure angles.

Do plan on rear spacers, N90s, and some tires with more open design. Will put my Firestone ATs on my 2wd S-10 ecsb we're making into our pre-runner-ish farm truck.

The blazer will take us where we need to and not where we need not. Only wheeling with folks who know their junk and know the trails. Going out on our own is dumb....

Old 01-26-2011, 10:38 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Did you ever figure out your front axle problem? I recommend 4x4 Posi-Lok if yours was modified somehow. I am getting one installed on Friday at a 4x4 shop. Don't want to deal with vacuum problems and no 4x4 because I need the 4x4 often in upstate NY.

Just out of curiosity, are the engine and trans original with that amount of mileage?

Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member
manekDC2_ is on a distinguished road

love your truck man... keep up the good work!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Starting Member

On this rig it was a severly corroded actuator cable. Used the one from the Jimmy and all is well.

I'll keep the vacuum, push-button stuff for now. I'm understanding it and have spares (actuator, vacuum switch, transfer case, etc). Cheaper....less hassle at the moment.

thanks for the compliment on the truck. I hope to keep it from getting fugly. N90s coming soon and some different work on the front and rear for angles...

Old 01-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good man. Nice work.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 AM
Starting Member

The latest. Not Earth-shattering, but -

I added the cat-back from the Jimmy (dynoMax and !cat).

I put my spare 4" K&N conical on the MAF using a hose from Lowes.

The TB bell had been removed and I polished stuff up.

Most of this was done on the Jimmy and transferred.

The Blazer didn't like it and was not running up to par. I worried that when I fixed the intake leak I might have dorked something. Decided to let Bryan and PCMforLess tune it. I can handle my OBDI stuff and have the tools for it, but am unfamiliar with OBDII and the tools are costly. I had Bryan do a base tune on my 'bird years ago and he did good.

I couldn't be happier. Everythings works well. Makes much more power than before, shifts are on-time, and its nice to have the speedo more correct. I didn't know one of these could run so well with so little done to it. The others we've had can't compare to how this one runs now.

that'll be two thumbs-up for Bryan and this new tune....

Work this week - rear diff from the Jimmy, rear shocks, steering stabilizer, and put a leaf from my spare packs on. Oh, and its ready for a filter/fresh quart (every other change is complete, ~ 6,000mi).

Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Starting Member

I'll have pics soon.

the 7.5/torsen/discs from the Jimmy was cleaned up, painted, and stuck in the Blazer yesterday.

transfered the two bottom leafs too, but did not put the short add-a-leafs on. Instead I used the #2 leaf from the spare packs and cut it down to fit between #2 and #3. Works great. A bit of lift, but the rate increase wasn't as bad as the short AAL and the spring isn't an S.

Also swapped the rear bumper from the Jimmy over. I'll need to redrill the brackets to tuck it in a bit more since it looks like the Jimmy's had more overhang. The bottom part of the hit to the ground with all these changes went from 15.25" to 18.75". That's goodness. Also, I know the departure angle has improved significantly. Will measure tonight.

Lots more to do before it's trail-ride-ready.

Of note was that the 1997 pack didn't have a wedge block on top for a better drive angle. The 2000 did have this stock. Weird. The part moved with the Jimmy parts onto the 1997 Blazer.

We need to name the truck. The boys have ideas....since it is part Jimmy and part blazer.

Still to come:
swap mirrors (from James)
big hooks on the front (from James)
steering stabilizer
2" body lift
N90s and BFG KOs
sliders
perhaps bumpers
lights
Electric fans when the budget allows.

I have pics....I just need to upload them to photobucket.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Starting Member

promised pictures

Yes the rear bumper will get painted.

Yes, the holes will be re-drilled to tuck the bumper in properly.

I don't know how long the bumper is staying, if I am keeping the trip strips on the truck sides, and have no idea what I am doing in front. Still, we're moving forward.....

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer - resurrecting the James dream