Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

97 ls 4x4 newbie

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 PM
rmcrowley87 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 97 ls 4x4 newbie

just bought a 97 ls 2 dr 4x4. shes got her issues that need fixed but its a good base for what i have in it.

replaced passenger side hub assembly, checked transfer case it was over full as in dumped out fluid as soon as i took out the fill bolt howd they cram that much in there???... going to be doing a tune up in the next few weeks to it as well..
now for the scary parts it does go into 4 lo but not 4 hi and seems stuck between 4 hi and 2 hi the vacuum diaphram under the batt. tray only works for 4 lo with help from me squeezing it shut otherwise it seems super slow. just bought 10 ft each of the 2 most common vac lines on the thing to replace all the 4x4 vac lines and maybe some of the a/c vac lines because the a/c console on the dash does nothing at all maybe the whole panel needs replaced? the 3 button switch only seems to work half the time are there any vac lines attached to it? when the buttons do work when switching into 4 hi both 4 hi/lo lights blink together 5 times whats this about is it a code? if it is whats it mean? i have more than basic tools to work with only a misfire shows up on obd2 scans and boy is it a bad miss hence why i want to do a full tune up on it soon. its going to be a long process but any and all help is appreciated and much thanks in advance!!!

Old 08-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Starting Member
bear159 is on a distinguished road

If your transfer case had that much fluid come out of the fill cap that's probably because a seal broke and tranny fluid is leaking in, at least that's the case with mine. Then that fluid can get through the vacuum switch then into the lines and cause problems... my defrost vent is always on and the lower ones don't work because of this too.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 AM
rmcrowley87 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for a reply bear. So what vac switch broke on yours? Is It the one on the transfer case or is it another? What seal breaks and how much of a pain is it to fix? Did yours have a constant vibration when driving almost like a wheel bearing going out when all that happened? Funny thing though if I'm moving and turn slightly to the right the vibration stops??? If I go to the left it does not increase the vibration.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Starting Member
bear159 is on a distinguished road

It was the vacuum switch on the transfer case, I had a link somewhere on how to fix it and it said what seal it was but I can't find it. I have not fixed mine yet, so not sure on how hard it is to fix. But mine does have a vibration and a loud growling kind of noise in my front end from time to time, I find that if I put in to 4hi it will stop.