Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

98 Blazer Off-road Rebuild (newbie post)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2022, 01:08 PM
Starting Member
Stugots is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer Off-road Rebuild (newbie post)

Hi folks!

Newbie here, first post. Just wanted to ask for a bit of advice! I’m also new to automotive mechanics, though I do a lot of hobby metalwork, welding, have a small CNC mill, and have done a lot of smaller scale motorcycle and atv repair. Software engineer by day job.

My family has a rusted-out 98 Blazer 4x4. Been sitting in the back yard for years. It’s in pretty rough shape, but engine starts up and sounds good. I’d actually like to do a full rebuild - and improve it a bit for some light off-roading, basically make it a trail vehicle for Michigan’s off-road campgrounds, rock climbing parks and off-road parks (pure rec, not competitive). Mostly designed for my kids to enjoy eventually (with me tagging along of course). Kids are young (5 and below) so I have some time to finish the build =)

My budget - kinda open ended, I know it’s going to cost me, but I’m expecting to potentially have to get much beefier suspension, new tires, possible axle/driveline swaps, and some lift for more clearance. I do intend to strip to frame, grind out all rust, rebuild, repaint, etc. Doesn’t need to be street legal, it isn’t going to be intended for pavement after rebuild, but extra bonus if I can make that happen too.

I’ll try to post some pics here, let me know what you think! I know it might seem like a bit rough of project for newbie to auto mechanics but I like to try crazy ****. (Or if this isn’t the right forum for this kind of off-road build let me know if I should move my post!)

Pics below (beware, this thing looks pretty rough!). I’m in Michigan, hence the serious underbody rust.

Let me know any ideas / recommendations! Before I start spending a bunch of time and money, would like to hear thoughts from anyone that’s tried a rebuild or project on this type of vehicle before =)

I’m thinking to do a photo/video log as the build progresses. If folks are interested in seeing a rust bucket come back to life.