Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

99 S10 revival

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 01:11 PM
959900s10blazer is on a distinguished road
Default 99 S10 revival

As you see in my signature, I have a 99 s10 now. Once my grandads, after he passed I inherited it. The worst part however, came 2 weeks later when the safety latch on the hood failed going 40 down the road. Needless to say, the windshield needs replacing, and the hood. Luckily I have a hood from a good friend of mine.

The plans with this truck is to repaint it the original color and add the pinstripe back. This truck literally had caught fire in the middle of the road when I was 13, and all we did was put the fire out and drove it back home. The motor is semi-solid. Top end was rebuilt but I fear with it sitting the better part of 2 years, it's gonna start slowly going downhill. I try to drive it atleast once every couple of weeks now, but you can tell it doesn't have the power it did have. Hills are this 2.2's most notorious enemy.

Got some work to do, but nothing like my blazer. This is gonna be the "original" truck. Just want it back to its old glory like my grandad had it. My blazer I can make it the badass truck with a lift kit and 32" tires and all that, but this is just gonna be the grandpa truck that it is.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:00 AM

I just wanted to update with an apology it's taking so long. There's so much to do but it seems like so little time.
The Blazer is my main build, but I might scrounge the money up for a catback exhaust on this one while I'm working on my main build. Something that rumbles to make my grandad proud. He had a 70 Olds 442 4 speed that was apparently so loud it made my mom (as a kid, mind you) cry constantly. I know I won't be able to mimic that sound, but it would be nice to just get a good rumble out of her.

Most importantly, I have to figure out the start issue. I was working at Raben's for a while (ugh) and when I went to work, it wouldn't start. But when I got home in the afternoon, she would start right up. After the weather went from 40-65 or so, she would be happy to start.

I'm thinking throttle body is stuck, causing it to do it. It's not choking it thus causing the issue. Some other people think so as well, but there's another theory people agree on too, coil packs.

So if anyone reads this that has had this problem, let me know which it is. I'm almost sure it's one of those two problems, about 95% sure.

Anyway, that's all for now. Probably gonna order a new grill insert for it as well soon. I can't repaint it yet, I don't have $1800 to spend on it. But one day, probably NEXT tax season 😂

Old 11-01-2020, 10:37 PM

Well, it happened.

I absolutely nailed a deer in my granddads old s10, so now the question was posed.

Do I keep it? Is it worth it, monetary and emotionally? Is it going to be worth saving?

The answer I came to was yes. I decided I had to do something, so I decided I’m going to rebuild her. Slowly, surely, but she’ll get there. This happened last night, so don’t expect it to be updated anytime soon, but one day, she’ll look like a new truck, and that’s for sure.

This time paint and everything will be done to her. It might take a year or two, but it’s a build. It’s for family. This is what we do.

Old 11-02-2020, 02:50 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Looks like the wifes sonoma when the daughter rear ended someone... not hard to do... good luck and keep us posted

Old 11-27-2020, 01:21 PM

Slight update, positive and happy the last few days about it.

So even though I haven’t been able to remove the hood (angle grinder I’m looking at you) from the inspection I took, the frame is NOT bent or damaged in any way. Of course something might show after the bumper is dropped, but I can’t see a lot of anything wrong. That’s the plus.

I’m just grateful that we have an abundance of s10’s and blazers sitting alone waiting for something like this around my neck of the woods, that’s the big plus in terms of bumper, grille, fender etc. The only things I have to buy new (or feel more comfortable buying new) is the radiator support and the radiator. Even though the radiator wasn’t leaking, it’s bent all to hell much like the support. I’m hoping the engine isn’t in too rough of a shape either, but again I haven’t even had the hood up, so we’ll find out together here in a few days!

total cost of everything I’d need brand new to get it back to just stock body is $874, so I’m glad I didn’t claim it on the insurance, I can’t afford it being totaled, I can definitely fix how little is messed on it that’s for sure.

until next time, stay golden and stay esten!

Old 11-27-2020, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

So I ended up taking off the whole hood latch support to open the wifes sonoma. I had to replace it anyways because it got bent in.

Well I guess it was more a comfort and price efficient replacement more then a must, I could've bent it back... if the front part where the bumper bolts onto is bentis you can put it back with a sledge.

Old 11-27-2020, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by DonL
So I ended up taking off the whole hood latch support to open the wifes sonoma. I had to replace it anyways because it got bent in.

Well I guess it was more a comfort and price efficient replacement more then a must, I could've bent it back... if the front part where the bumper bolts onto is bentis you can put it back with a sledge.
Oh yeah, I think it’s shot. I had another hood anyway for it I just hadn’t put it on yet until I was ready to spend the money for paint, but that’s out the window now. My plan was to either cut through the latch at the front (since I can almost see it) and lift it that way to take it off or unbolt the latch if I can get to the bolts easy.