Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   Altoncustomtech's 1998 Chevy Vldenture (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/altoncustomtechs-1998-chevy-vldenture-50155/)

ohsofly 10-16-2010 09:28 AM

I like that box design! Have a look at my build thread, I have a custom amp rack too, but dad and I wanted to hide the amps. Im not moving nearly as fast as you are on it though, and its going to snow here so I may not be pounding until next year... Unless I find a way to heat my garage :) :)

altoncustomtech 10-16-2010 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by ohsofly (Post 371290)
I like that box design! Have a look at my build thread, I have a custom amp rack too, but dad and I wanted to hide the amps. Im not moving nearly as fast as you are on it though, and its going to snow here so I may not be pounding until next year... Unless I find a way to heat my garage :) :)

Thanks man, I ran into the same trouble with this one. The pictures of the box being built were actually taken in September of '09. It got too cold to paint it, had to start on it again this spring.

02Whiteblaze 03-13-2011 01:34 PM

for my 1st post on this forum i must say i love you build both the jimmy as well as this one.
By any chance do you happend to have a vid of how the sounds is in this van im looking at getting me some fi subs at the moment and would love to here the bass.

Red 96' 03-13-2011 01:50 PM

Where did you buy the carpet that you used on the amp rack? I don't like the stuff I used, didn't stretch to well and it looks pretty bad haha.

6Cyl'erThriller 05-19-2011 09:54 AM

Sweet ass setup...

I love me some FI audio Qs I had big plans on putting 2 12" Qs in my Camry and I did for a while but running off only 1 1200-1500w Rockford T10001BD amp. I got a second amp and built myself a sealed box but never got around to installing it all because of the shear weight. The box w/2 subs as you probably already know weighed like 90lbs. I would have had to add a second battery in the trunk as well. So I decided to just scarp the second amp and sub and just use one Q. I have to say it is one of the sweetest sounding subs Ive ever owned. Anyhow added a set of PPI components up front and Im lovin the setup now. Not many people go with FI and even fewer go with the Q. Most people just want loud. Which is nice but I prefer crisp clean bass. Very nice clean install.
I wish I still had the 12" Orion HCCA I had in my first blazer. That thing was virtually indestructible. Well the performance wise anyhow. Dont roll over a Saturn at 60+ and expect much to survive. Unfortunately the magnet cracked and Ive never even inquired as to weather it could be repaired. That sub was loud even when underpowered. But my tastes have gone from "hell yeah its loud!" @ 21 years old to. " Yeah its not as loud but it sounds better than yours" @ 28 haha I guess we all gotta grow up sometime. :D

altoncustomtech 05-19-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 02Whiteblaze (Post 417132)
for my 1st post on this forum i must say i love you build both the jimmy as well as this one.
By any chance do you happend to have a vid of how the sounds is in this van im looking at getting me some fi subs at the moment and would love to here the bass.

Thanks man, I appreciate the comment. No vids posted yet, besides most every vid I see sounds like crap anyway. It's impossible to tell just how good the setup sounds cuz the microphone is being maxed out. Vids of excursion and flex are a different story and I'll get some posted up here soon.

Originally Posted by Red 96' (Post 417135)
Where did you buy the carpet that you used on the amp rack? I don't like the stuff I used, didn't stretch to well and it looks pretty bad haha.

That's just regular automotive carpet I ordered from Parts Express. It does a fair job of stretching and when you use a good contact cement sticks and stays very well.

Originally Posted by 6Cyl'erThriller (Post 433463)
I love me some FI audio Qs I had big plans on putting 2 12" Qs in my Camry and I did for a while but running off only 1 1200-1500w Rockford T10001BD amp. I got a second amp and built myself a sealed box but never got around to installing it all because of the shear weight. The box w/2 subs as you probably already know weighed like 90lbs. I would have had to add a second battery in the trunk as well. So I decided to just scarp the second amp and sub and just use one Q. I have to say it is one of the sweetest sounding subs Ive ever owned. Anyhow added a set of PPI components up front and Im lovin the setup now. Not many people go with FI and even fewer go with the Q. Most people just want loud. Which is nice but I prefer crisp clean bass. Very nice clean install.
I wish I still had the 12" Orion HCCA I had in my first blazer. That thing was virtually indestructible. Well the performance wise anyhow. Dont roll over a Saturn at 60+ and expect much to survive. Unfortunately the magnet cracked and Ive never even inquired as to weather it could be repaired. That sub was loud even when underpowered. But my tastes have gone from "hell yeah its loud!" @ 21 years old to. " Yeah its not as loud but it sounds better than yours" @ 28 haha I guess we all gotta grow up sometime. :D

Dude, I know exactly what you mean. Loud gets old, like we do. It can still be fun from time to time, but sounding great is definitely where it's at and you're right the Q's are amazing in that regard. I love playing some bass heavy rap for a bunch of kids and watching them freak out at the intensity of it, then switch to some classic rock or heavy metal and listen to them freak out about how good it sounds. None of the kids around here seem to understand that they can have both loud and good for the most part they think it just has to be loud. I'm the only person for over 2.5hrs of driving that owns any Fi product that I know of besides my brother who has an 18" SSD that's still waiting to be installed. I have to get to the Indy or Louisville area's before I find anyone who owns or even knows of anything about Fi. Your HCCA can most likely be repaired, but not the magnet itself. It will have to have a whole new motor bolted to the frame, which will require reconing as well. Up to you on how bad you wanna mess with it, personally I don't see it being worth the money or trouble.

6Cyl'erThriller 05-19-2011 11:02 AM

Yeah thats basically where Im at. Its been sitting for 3 or 4 years now. I just moved on to better things. I doubt its worth it especially when I have a brand new 12" FI Q and a rockford T10001bd just sitting. After going FI, I doubt Ill ever own anything else. I dont know anyone else who has them around me. Im in Maryland and Id figure someone around here should have something FI. They are a relatively small company tho and not extremely well known yet but I have a feeling they will be a force in the future. The quality is top notch. I like how they make the sub when you order it too. No off the shelf BS from best buy for this guy.

altoncustomtech 05-19-2011 11:30 AM

One of the biggest problems is that most people don't have the money to spend to buy anything that's not chinese built junk. Lots and lots of people want to be big in the hobby, though few have the funds to actually participate the way they want to. Everyone who hears the van asks how much I have in it and they nearly fall over when I tell them it's got a little over $3k in it. I've done it bits at a time over the last couple of years, but still that's a lot of money just to listen to my music, lol. Most people just aren't comfortable spending money for real good equipment, even if they do have it. With the economy the way it is, that's not necessarily a bad thing but it makes it hard to sell them on it. Even the price I paid for the SA-8's for the Jimmy freak people out and they're not expensive at all in comparison to some.

6Cyl'erThriller 05-19-2011 12:01 PM

Yeah I figured mine out once everything included and it was like 2500 but in the general scheme of thing I got a deal on a lot of stuff. The subs are still not all to expensive for what you get 250 -275 each. compare that to what you get out of an off the shelf speaker for the same price. Its a definate WIN! I got my amps which retail for 800ea. 650 for 2 of them. Pioneer deh710bt 250 I believe, Knu 0g wiring 100 give or take, High output alternator I think around 150-175, PPI components 250, Optima yellow top battery 175. That dosnt include all the nickle and dime stuff like MDF, Materials, Fuses, RCAs, Wiring harness, Dynamat and I personally used that truck bedliner for sound deadening in addition to dynamat. Works great! Luckily I had a lot of the other stuff like the 4 channel and lots of misc wire and connectors. Its an expensive thing to get into but at some point that "mickey mouse s***" just dosnt cut it anymore.
Dont have a lot of pics of the system but if you look at the actual modifications most of them have pictures some you have to click on I believe. Its really outdated I just got my computer back up and running, plus its warming up outside, so Ill be updating soon.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3800190/1993-toyota-camry

altoncustomtech 07-11-2011 02:07 PM

Here's a couple more videos, this time with a real video camera. Quality still sucks cuz I'm trying to get used to the settings on the video conversion software so I'm not trying to upload 400+Mb files. Still working on camera settings too. In the first video the image stabilization was on and it could barely show the subs moving. In the second video it was off and it caught the subs moving decent but couldn't catch anything else moving. I also tried to do a little paper trick on the second video and the camera didn't catch **** there either, so both videos turned out lame IMHO but hey it's just for fun anyway.

YouTube - ‪Alton's two 12" Fi Q subs in 1998 Venture Mini-van‬‏

YouTube - ‪Alton's two 12" Fi Q's on Sundown 2K‬‏