Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Beginning of the end.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member
shelbysguns is on a distinguished road
Default Beginning of the end.

Hey guys this is what I am starting with. It is a 1992 4X4 4dr. Blazer. This means it is a 1st gen, right? I have a lot I would like to do to this, but it does have a bunch of problems to fix first. Also a note, I am a poor high-school student so most of what I plan to do will have to be low-budget.

Problems
1. Door hinge pins and bushings need to be replaced. Driver's door has trouble shutting well.

2. Locks on doors need replaced. You can't unlock the driver's door by a key, only by using the passengers door. The passenger door doesn't unlock with the power locks, you have to manually flip the lock on the passenger door. Not too bad, if I am riding with someone else, especially my dad. He just unlocks the passenger door and hits both locks. Same thing to lock it. I'm not sure abut how to fix this. Feel free to post advice.

3. There is rust above the rear window, on the hood, around the gas cap, along the running boards alongside the car, and over the rear fenders. I would like to sand and paint these out, and possibly bedline the rockers, fenders, and bumpers.

4. Heater failed to work one morning, not cool. My dad was all set to replace the HVAC system, then I gave the heater a shot. It worked, proving who it likes!

5. Passenger door doesn't match. I either need that trim piece that is missing or remove all the other trim. I would prefer to just add the trim piece, as I like that look.

6. The driver-side body panel over the front wheel doesn't match either. Same problem and solution as #5.

Planned Purpose
More of a hick fun vehicle to get around in the snow and ice when everyone else is stuck. Also to be used for hunting and rescuing damsels in distress. Off-roading is alittle low on the priorities as I have no money to repair the damage that seems to follow off-roading.

PlannedUpgrades
1. 2" Shackles and a Torsion Bar crank to level it. I would love to get a tad more height, and possibly later toss some bigger tires on.

2. Paint the stock rims black. I like the look.

3. Change the head unit out from a stocker. Something simple, hopefully with a larger volume **** closer to the driver's seat.

4. Maybe put a sound system in, get better definition and quality to my sound.

5. Add a brush guard, hopefully covering the grill and the headlights. I would like it to be functional as a last-ditch, emergency way to push a vehicle out of the way if I need to. Just a slight possibility. It needs to be able to work for #7.

6. I would like to mount some kind of roof rack, or basket. I have a local source for a Rage Black Widow roof rack, but would rather make one. Needs to be solid, preferably attaching to the standard roof rack. Would like it to be large enough to hold a medium cooler, a small shovel, a toolbox, and a place to mount #7.

7. I would like light. Lots of lights. Looking to have about 3 on the grille guard, and around 4 on the roof rack. I have some lights in mind, they're in a build thread, I will go look for a link. Maybe some good lights in the back for back-up lights, always need more of those, maybe a few cheaper fog or driving lights mounted inside the cargo area, for night use over the tailgate.

8. Eventually, I will need a second battery to power the lights and maybe #9.

9. Possibly, a winch, but it's not real high on my priorities right now, as I don't do a ton or off roading.

As it stands now

I feel I should add my skill level and available tools. I have access to small flux-core MiG machine, and will be learning to use it soon. So I should be able to do basic welding by the time I can start work on it, but nothing structural. I have a semi-mechanic father, who is mainly a European sports car guy, but he can tell me how to remove leaf springs and such. I also have access to a covered garage and am very close friends with the owner. If I need to do any major mods, it will be done there. Between the garage and my house we have most hand tools one would need and probably most non-specialized power tools also. If there are any local BF members, feel free to shoot me an email or PM or somesuch, I would be glad to meet you.

Last edited by shelbysguns; 01-16-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by shelbysguns
Hey guys this is what I am starting with. It is a 1992 4X4 4dr. Blazer. This means it is a 1st gen, right? I have a lot I would like to do to this, but it does have a bunch of problems to fix first. Also a note, I am a poor high-school student so most of what I plan to do will have to be low-budget.

Problems
1. Door hinge pins and bushings need to be replaced. Driver's door has trouble shutting well. think you have this one.

2. Locks on doors need replaced. You can't unlock the driver's door by a key, only by using the passengers door. The passenger door doesn't unlock with the power locks, you have to manually flip the lock on the passenger door. Not too bad, if I am riding with someone else, especially my dad. He just unlocks the passenger door and hits both locks. Same thing to lock it. I'm not sure abut how to fix this. Feel free to post advice.
possible solenoid on door, check that for power..

3. There is rust above the rear window, on the hood, around the gas cap, along the running boards alongside the car, and over the rear fenders. I would like to sand and paint these out, and possibly bedline the rockers, fenders, and bumpers. this one is all you, i recommend bedliner

4. Heater failed to work one morning, not cool. My dad was all set to replace the HVAC system, then I gave the heater a shot. It worked, proving who it likes!
check the connector at motor, maybe loose or corroded.

5. Passenger door doesn't match. I either need that trim piece that is missing or remove all the other trim. I would prefer to just add the trim piece, as I like that look. all you, recommend junk yard here

6. The driver-side body panel over the front wheel doesn't match either. Same problem and solution as #5. all you, recommend junk yard here

Planned PurposeMore of a hick fun vehicle to get around in the snow and ice when everyone else is stuck. Also to be used for hunting and rescuing damsels in distress. Off-roading is alittle low on the priorities as I have no money to repair the damage that seems to follow off-roading.

PlannedUpgrades
1. 2" Shackles and a Torsion Bar crank to level it. I would love to get a tad more height, and possibly later toss some bigger tires on.
mine is 2nd gen, t-crank to 1.5 and shackles got me 31's

2. Paint the stock rims black. I like the look.
be sure to do good prep and use self etching primer..dupont makes it in a rattle can

3. Change the head unit out from a stocker. Something simple, hopefully with a larger volume **** closer to the driver's seat. you

4. Maybe put a sound system in, get better definition and quality to my sound. you

5. Add a brush guard, hopefully covering the grill and the headlights. I would like it to be functional as a last-ditch, emergency way to push a vehicle out of the way if I need to. Just a slight possibility. It needs to be able to work for #7.

6. I would like to mount some kind of roof rack, or basket. I have a local source for a Rage Black Widow roof rack, but would rather make one. Needs to be solid, preferably attaching to the standard roof rack. Would like it to be large enough to hold a medium cooler, a small shovel, a toolbox, and a place to mount #7.
ok here i did a homemade roof basket out of conduit and mig welder.
either make it to replace stock rack or sit between rails...height will matter.
i did a how to....
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51047

7. I would like light. Lots of lights. Looking to have about 3 on the grille guard, and around 4 on the roof rack. I have some lights in mind, they're in a build thread, I will go look for a link. Maybe some good lights in the back for back-up lights, always need more of those, maybe a few cheaper fog or driving lights mounted inside the cargo area, for night use over the tailgate.
all you, light er up like a Christmas tree

8. Eventually, I will need a second battery to power the lights and maybe #9.

9. Possibly, a winch, but it's not real high on my priorities right now, as I don't do a ton or off roading.

As it stands now
you have a good looking ride to start with, lots of great stuff around here.
you just need to dig and you will find the gold.
good luck. remember...LOTS OF PICS!!!

Old 08-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member
Nate2013 is on a distinguished road

Nice Project!

Id like to see some pics when done

Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Nice truck check out my build for ideas =)