Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Buick love

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010 | 08:42 PM
|
Beginning Member
gojo83 is on a distinguished road
Default Buick love

I will condense 3 builds into one thread here. I had typed this all out on my bb last night at work but it didnt wanna process so here is try 2.

project "swamp thing" aka 99 buick regal gs
picked it up nov of 08 for the blistering price of $700 from a foreign exchange student in omaha that was not versed in cars at all.

the day after I got it
diagnosed the random dying problems as a bad maf had one from the 03 when I upgraded to a bigger setup 3 dollar fixes are wonderful
then the inevitable happened

spun a rod bearing, the lower intake gasket failed and dumped coolant into the oil and that was the end of that motor. I was 10 miles from home when it let go and limped it to with in 11 blocks before she totally shat the bed.
so between school and all the BS I had to with that I wont go into but it required a surgery and a 6 wks recoup time

so I was strapped for money but stumbled on this

l36 or NA 3.8 has same block but has 9.5:1 comp ratio compared to the stock sc comp ratio being 8.5:1 so right there you are looking at a 25 hp gain give or take

then I fell into a set of stg 4 spec heads with machine work to allow larger valves and .600+ total lift and all ported and polished

then I found a local guy getting out of the scene and was selling a nib cam and pushrods and 105 lb springs for 200 which is a steal the cam is mild enough to be not overly noticable but breathes really well. the specs are 206/218 .320/.330 and sounds like this

then I fell into a deal a buddy turned me onto and I got a generation 5 blower which is more effiecient then the stock blower for this car

I then snagged a set of ssac headers for cheap

after all this i snagged an intercooler setup for dirt cheap and it includes all the stuff needed and has fuel rails

with all the motor work I am going to need bigger injectors and so I will be taking the 42.5 9injectors I bought for the 03 and putting them in the 99 and look for another set for the 03 when it is it's turn under the knife again
currently I am getting a set of 1.84 roller rockers to match up to the cam and will put me just over .600 lift total so at the ragged edge of what the heads can flow

because I have the wideband and tuner support for this car I deleted the evap and the egr and the ac setup in the name of weight and carbon buildup reduction

in the lower intake I opened the inlet up to match the IC and port matched the outlets and removed the coolant restrictor and plugged the coolant passages to the throttlebody with a set screw that I tapped and died into it so it will not leak.

the only thing left to do is get the caddilac Northstar throttle body adapter and TB then smooth the inlet of the gen v to match

the CAI setup is a 4 in setup of tubing with a 9 in k&n filter on it

I then gutted the interior because it was all ripped up and not that nice and did some horse trading and got a set of gtp buckets that has more side suppoort.

the interior will be covered in a fleece lining on the doors to keep the heat in during the winter and reduce some of the road noise then the floor will be hit with that rubberized undercoating as a sound deadener and then denim will be laid on top and glued to the deadener then the front 2 foot wells will have big rubber mats for the dirt and water collection and protection.
the other big interior thing will be the stereo which is where the weight reduction trend is suspended in favor of good sound
the system will be all infinity and a sony explode head unit for now.

this will be a late 2010 setup that may see the track once but if you know 3.8 cars you will be questioning some of my methodology but I will run this setup on regular and not premium and the smallest pulley i can and still have 20 * of timing and 45+* at cruise all checked with the wideband

for now since I need to get the 99 mobile again it is getting a stock sc motor and trans I picked up for reasonable and will have only the IC setup and 1.84 rockers on it

the only thing I am waiting on is the aluminum f body caliper setup from a buddy to complete the front brakes

future mods for this will be the gmpp suspension kit and aluminum cradle and grand prix tq star wheels which weigh the least of all the stock rims for this body style and will also snag a set of gxp rear brakes to balance the system.

you may ask who did all the work on your cars and I do all my own work

This is the woman's car and this is a real short list of mods to it

hers is the green one
the mods on her car are really simple but effective
4 in tubing CAI with 9 in k&n filter on it
ported exhaust manifolds
3 in downpipe to a mostly stock catback with only a resonator delete
and a tune with out wideband sensing yet
cooler plugs and 180 stat but those are not really mods but more like maintenance

the 03 or also known as sandy the screamer lol

back when she was a virgin she looked like this

but that lasted all of 2 hrs after she was mine got home and after being in the regal scene with my 2 previous cars lost due to divorce and a young punk in his grandpa's s-15 the air box was gutted in no time flat so she could breathe. after that it was all down hill
I will just give you a look at the mods on now and future setup as the setup has evolved several times but it is almost where I want it.
exterior is simple mods headlights pulled apart and cleaned and tinted

then added rims

and had tint too
here is a shot of the tails and the scottsbluff monument in NE

then I added impala ss brakes which are dual piston and 12 in rotors vs single piston and 11 in rotor that was stock on the car. fills up the wheels nicely

you cant see it but it also has the gmpp sways and trailing arms and strut tower bars which tightens it up alot

on to engine mods
the current setup is pacesetter headers with a 2.5 in cat back that is fed by a gen v blower that is not ICed yet but will be when it gets revised, the fuel is delivered by prj rails that look sexy and doesnt hide the blower like the stock fuel setup does. the blowere is fed by a northstar TB and lq4 or 6.0 liter maf and 4 in CAI with a 9 in filter. the onlt thing on the top end that is not ported is the heads for now. the hidden weapon if you will is the 1.8 rockers which is like having a mini cam upgrade all matched with a 3.5 pulley and a tune.

future build will be ported heads that will have clearance for the rockers and the cam that has specs of 212/224 .325/.335, then a 1.9 in IC core will be ran and then fed by a frozen boost heat exchanger. this will all sit in an alum cradle and have a 100 wet shot on it and e85 and big injectors and gxp brakes.

if you have any questions I will be more the happy to answer them since I am assuming alot of you are not overly familiar with the w body setup like the gtp and regals.

if you dont want me to continue as I continue these builds let me know too. the blazer is only going to get very little mods mostly maintenence items and poly bushings to help with some of the areas that seem too soft

Old 01-18-2010 | 11:39 PM
Starting Member
TheStig is on a distinguished road

Love it, makes me miss my '97 GTP. Really like the style of the buicks, a good look and even more of a sleeper. IIRC the Buicks are a little lighter than Grand Prixs, how do compare stock in the 1/4?

Old 01-19-2010 | 12:58 AM
|
Beginning Member

If I remember right the buicks r like 50 lbs lighter then the gtp sedans so I guess it is all but a wash in the 1/4. On the old setup I ran 14.3 at 2100 ft altitude with the new setup I haven't had a chance to run it down the 1/4 due to money and time issues. I can't wait to see what the cammed setup will do with all the parts it will have added.

Old 01-19-2010 | 01:23 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

damn those are super nice....

Old 01-19-2010 | 07:03 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

guys like you **** me off!

reading your build makes me so want to drop a SC driveline into my '95 Regal. but the wife is so standing her ground (it her DD, and she doesn't want me messing with it), "i don't care if it's yours", she says, "if you mess with it, you're gonna want to drive it all the time, and then i'm gonna have to kick your ***"

she knows me so well!

Old 01-19-2010 | 08:12 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

lol...wow, nice builds! The engine in your wife's car is so clean!! lol. I'd love to keep my engine that clean, but it's just not possible around these parts.

Old 01-19-2010 | 08:41 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

tell me about it... its gonna be degreaser for me this spring and a light spray from the garden hose lol.

Old 01-19-2010 | 12:18 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
guys like you **** me off!

reading your build makes me so want to drop a SC driveline into my '95 Regal. but the wife is so standing her ground (it her DD, and she doesn't want me messing with it), "i don't care if it's yours", she says, "if you mess with it, you're gonna want to drive it all the time, and then i'm gonna have to kick your ***"

she knows me so well!
I think she stays with me because she gets all the parts that "fall off" when I upgrade lol.

the engine shot is the tan 03 which is my car her engine bay is not so pretty yet but that is just a matter of time till it gets love.

her motor with the old intake setup it has been fixed now

she wants the house with the garage so she can get more done to it and to keep it washed and polished and waxed more often.

for those of you that don't like thick women look away now but this is a pic of her and her car in the one area of the mountains I love to take these cars and shoot pics

old build pics on the 03

the ole regal I did my first motor swap on

the original cai setup and the old stock blower and stock fuel rails setup

it has friends that can back it up in a race, not my cars but a buddy's, the corvette is the wife's and the bird is the hubby's and is 1 of 11 made they also have a jimmy for a winter vehicle

this is one of my fav shots of the car

and what is hiding behind door #1

it is a 48 international kb2 has sat since 72 and my dad was the last to drive it into there. I am hoping it will be mine some day but it is still in my Grandma's name and has been in the family since the early 50s and he got it for a couple bushels of corn back in the day lol.

just a teaser of the TA that is the 4 spd car

well pb is being retarded and cant let me into the other TA pics so I will post it later so I will leave you with what the driveway looks like lol all of those are mine or my woman's

Old 01-19-2010 | 01:20 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gojo83
1) she wants the house with the garage so she can get more done to it and to keep it washed and polished and waxed more often.

2) for those of you that don't like thick women look away now but this is a pic of her and her car in the one area of the mountains I love to take these cars and shoot pics

3) it has friends that can back it up in a race, not my cars but a buddy's, the corvette is the wife's and the bird is the hubby's and is 1 of 11 made they also have a jimmy for a winter vehicle

and what is hiding behind door #1

4) it is a 48 international kb2 has sat since 72 and my dad was the last to drive it into there. I am hoping it will be mine some day but it is still in my Grandma's name and has been in the family since the early 50s and he got it for a couple bushels of corn back in the day lol.

or someone stop him from post all these sweet pic's of his toys! j/king.........but you sure do luv your Buick's, eh.

1) yeah, my wife wants the big house too. i just want my 2800 sq foot shop back! that's our next move though, and she says the "garage" has to be far enough away from the house, so she doesn't have to hear me playing around with them all night. no problem!

2) hey brother, there's just more of her to luv. nice pic's of those mountains, make for a really grand backdrop.

3) nice!!! i've always luv'd those Bird's. whose ol' Buick is that to the right? (a '55?) looks clean.

4)
that is such a hard to find truck! and the fact that it's been in your family since it was practically new is awsome (ya gotta luv a vehicle that has a long family history). you so need to retore that truck (and post a build thread here, for all of us old iron luvrs )

Old 01-19-2010 | 02:49 PM
|
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
or someone stop him from post all these sweet pic's of his toys! j/king.........but you sure do luv your Buick's, eh.

1) yeah, my wife wants the big house too. i just want my 2800 sq foot shop back! that's our next move though, and she says the "garage" has to be far enough away from the house, so she doesn't have to hear me playing around with them all night. no problem!

2) hey brother, there's just more of her to luv. nice pic's of those mountains, make for a really grand backdrop.

3) nice!!! i've always luv'd those Bird's. whose ol' Buick is that to the right? (a '55?) looks clean.

4)
that is such a hard to find truck! and the fact that it's been in your family since it was practically new is awsome (ya gotta luv a vehicle that has a long family history). you so need to retore that truck (and post a build thread here, for all of us old iron luvrs )
3) I think it is a 56 olds (survivor)
as for other cars in the family there is a 66 ford galaxie 500xl vert completely restoed and was my prom ride that my uncle let me use.
my mom mostly but dad drives it too but she likes it best but has a 06 gto in impulse blue metallic and has less then 27k on it and never sees snow

dad is currently in the process of finding a 68 or 69 amc amx before he passes on he said he will own one.
that is the link to the album of the other 78 ta I own

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...trans%20am%20/

also looking to pick up a 84 fiero that has only 13k on it

as for the buick love the parents have an 04 lesabre and my bro has a 99 park aveand my grandma has a 07 lucerne too lol. I guess you could say it is in the blood

RIP

sold to make the ex wife happy

RIP

totalled by a kid in an 85 s-15 that was his grandpa's truck all of 2 wks afterI bought it

oh and as an side note the woman's gpa has a 40's Plymouth sedan that is sitting in storage too and if I get a shop I am getting the neighbor's first gen firebird and build it back to driver quality and enjoy my collection.

Quick Reply: Buick love