Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Christine's 99 Build: Hunting, Snow, and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Good reminder on this Christine. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2023, 09:26 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Even though relays are part of the electrical system they are a mechanical part and will wear out.

Old 10-25-2023, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Optima Yellow Top battery

Hi all,

I haven't posted much here due to life getting in the way. Although that doesn't mean my build to-do list isn't long!

What I did do today was take the opportinity to upgrade my battery. I installed a group 78 Optima Yellow Top battery.

It fit in the tray but I had to install a different, and likely better hold down system. I had to drill a couple holes in the tray for the hold-downs. I used the original single hold-down nut to help secure the battery tray.

I had been looking for an AGM battery and only learned yesterday that the Optima ones were of that design.

I went with the Yellow top since is dual purpose starting and deep cycle. By going with the group 78 instead of the stock 75, I got the starting performance of the Optima Red Top starting group 75 battery with the deep cycle properties I wanted.

I was tempted by the NAPA AGM battery partly due to its price, but it was too long. When it comes to battery size, I learned not all batteris of the same group have the same dimensions.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:01 AM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Nice upgrade! I used to run nothing but optima batteries back when I could afford them lol. Its definitely time in idaho to get our rides ready for winter. We had a skiff of snow this morning.

Old 10-27-2023, 12:56 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hess13x
Nice upgrade! I used to run nothing but optima batteries back when I could afford them lol. Its definitely time in idaho to get our rides ready for winter. We had a skiff of snow this morning.
Yeah, this battery is a bit over 50% more than the top of the line regular lead-acid battery. I'm counting on it lasting a bit longer and being more durable for the extra price, I hope. I was super tempted by the NAPA AGM too with a much better price. Installing that group 78 would have taken more effort and I wasn't sure of its reputation, for what that was worth.

I still might tweak the mounting brackets by doing some trimming but it all went together pretty well.

And yes, snow was flying just a bit earlier this evening here in North Idaho!

Last edited by christine_208; 10-27-2023 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-29-2023, 12:27 AM
roddy is on a distinguished road

If U use rear door spare tire carrier, take look at fuel tank setup on a 2 door.
Fuel tank on 2 door is in same location as spare tire on 4 door.
U will have to fabricate a filler neck etc.
Not many modded with twin tanks!

Old 10-29-2023, 09:58 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by roddy
If U use rear door spare tire carrier, take look at fuel tank setup on a 2 door.
Yes, I've thought on and off about finding a use for that space!

Old 10-30-2023, 12:03 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by roddy
So, I do have a spare tire swing arm that I've been wanting to install, but have not done yet. But when I do, I have been eyeing these as a way to store extra emergency fuel to carry with me from https://trailedonline.com/. The manufacturer says they are intended for water, but reviews of these elsewhere and even on their own site mention using them for gas. Even just one 6 gallon tank for back up would provide peace of mind when back in the woods.

Old 10-30-2023, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

That would be cool, but I think with them being plastic tanks I'd want to make an aluminium plate or tub that goes under it to protect the bottom and sides from rocks and such. I drive on a lot of gravel roads, and I'd be worried about rocks bouncing off it.

Old 10-30-2023, 04:17 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
That would be cool, but I think with them being plastic tanks I'd want to make an aluminium plate or tub that goes under it to protect the bottom and sides from rocks and such. I drive on a lot of gravel roads, and I'd be worried about rocks bouncing off it.
That would be a good mod.

Quick Reply: Christine's 99 Build: Hunting, Snow, and Towing