Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

The chronicle of james - entirety

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road

Pictures from the front yard.....

I didn't get some from places I'd like to because I trimmed limbs around the perimeter of the property and haven't picked them up yet....

Last night I got the 180 thermostat in, fixed the fan hitting the shroud issue, and fixed the battery tray so I could get the hold down on the battery correctly....

Think I need some quick-disconnects for the front swaybar...? Yup... Where can you get these...? I There are 4 or 5 places on our 5 acres that are more steep with either real loose soil or mostly rocks. One the Jimmy will not go up without a locker.....been there.....failed. All the places in the photos were done in either 4hi or 4lo with no drama and no airing down. After it rains I'll try again....gently. This is our yard and I don't want to tear it up too badly.

Steep driveway...eh

Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Starting Member

Additionally - Approach angle is not bad on this truck. Once I get a 2" body lift on it that will help. The departure angle could be better. Last night the tail pipe drug at least once and I was trying not to get the rear tires into a deep hole.

If I add a hitch (which would be nice) I'm going to need to do something custom since I don't want to drag that and risk hanging the truck up. The rear bumper may be due a bit of surgery.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I like the last picture.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

I like the picture when its up on the rock. Shows some flex and the best part is that its in your front yard!

Old 04-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Starting Member

Thanks guys.....

Found the ZR2 article on quick disconnect for our trucks. Duh....

5" grade 8 3/8 bolt....wing nut.....wire clip......some fabrication, but not much. Easy.

Flex.....yep, we'll get a little soon.

Flex....locker.....recovery anchors.....then we're goin' wheelin.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Beginning Member
tmurph01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good! I took the idea from your one photo earlier and took the center caps off of my wheels, and I must admit,.. i like the way they look. I will add pics to my thread tomorrow.

When are you planning on doing the body lift?

Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Starting Member

The body lift isn't really planned until summer. Maybe.....

I want to, but I haven't tested the truck in it's current config. The BL will help approach and departure angle and some tire clearance, but won't help much else.... It'll probably be a PA kit and will get done...

I had that one center cap off because I had an odd ball lug nut on there until I could pick up the right one. I like the center caps on for a few reasons -

1. I wanted to build a ZR2/hi-rider clone in four doors. It does look like a high-rider version of the 4dr Jimmy.
2. the center caps, if they'll stay on, will keep day-to-day debris and corrosion off the lugs and axle threads. I will remove them when I get to doing any real wheeling (like mud, water, etc).

I'll be doing the quick sway bar disconnect this weekend. First I need to replace the fan clutch as it has decided to give up....

I am going to borrow (steal) the bedliner paint idea for the grille and stuff. I like it.... I'll most-likely use black wrinkle on the wiper arms and other stuff since all that stuff looks pretty tired.

I am going to get some shots of the front suspension soon to so you all can see the fruits of my hard labor.

I don't plan to get a whole CAI, but I might get an ebay tube and connical K&N. We'll see. Need to change plugs first....see how she runs. With 3.42s and 31s I want a bit more power. The cat-back helped and it has a drop-in K&N with the air-box opened up....still I want more. It's a drag-racer's lifelong habit and there is never enough power.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:25 AM
Starting Member
Default trimming, chassis, etc

The pictures as promised...

Frame rub is the same on both sides. Minor. Just don't turn full-lock...

Fuel tank skid plate...

Front diff and oil pan skid plate....

Transfer case skid plate....

Driver's rear shackle..... Yeah, I know it's dirty.

Dynomax exhaust and the other shackle.... Note painted spare... The folks who had this thing before me were master craftsmen.

passenger-side front susp....

Driver's-side front susp.....

Old 04-16-2010, 07:59 AM
Starting Member
Default the actual trimming....

More trimming to come on the plastic stuff..... then we'll see where she rubs when the wheel is stuffed all the way.

driver's-side...

This is about as close as it gets without compression. you can see how a bit of hammering reshaped the lower edge of the wheelwell. It does rub on compression on the edge of the plastic. If I take about 1" more off of it I don't expect to see any more rubbing on that. The inner wheelwell - we'll see when I get the front sway bar disconnect done this weekend and try stuffing the front tire in there......

Passenger-side..... This side didn't need as much for some reason. I will trim the plastic on this side to match what I still need to do on the driver's side.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

Lookin real nice! About your rubbing, if you have them set the alignment with the caster around 2 instead of 3, you wont rub the back of the tire on the frame.

I have my caster set at 1.74 - 1.80 with almost maximum toe in to correct bump steer.

Quick Reply: The chronicle of james - entirety