Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Custom light bar, 94 Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member
BEAT MY JIMMY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
That's funny. My roof rack is wider than yours, by about 2.5 inches. I would think all the first gens would be same, but I guess yours is the newer version. My actual rack is also different. I'm not sure I could just bolt one on like you did. How much does your light bar move? As in, if you push on a light does the bar twist with it? I guess what I'm asking is is there anything you would have done differently if you did it again?
It doesn't move at all, it's actually really solid. I'm curious to see if it stays solid after going off road. LOL. I don't think I would change a thing, but that was a very good question. It is pretty odd that your rack is wider than mine. I have a 89' blazer parts truck, but it doesn't have a rack to compare it to.

Last edited by BEAT MY JIMMY; 03-31-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 AM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road

whats the long steel piece called? i think i saw some along my journey between here and moms house for like 13$...if its what i think it is i could prob make the same thing for a little less than 30$s..minus the lights which i could get some..not kc's but decent for like..50$s a pair (dont forget bf delivers car parts lol maddd discounts..)

Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by MuddBunny84
whats the long steel piece called? i think i saw some along my journey between here and moms house for like 13$...if its what i think it is i could prob make the same thing for a little less than 30$s..minus the lights which i could get some..not kc's but decent for like..50$s a pair (dont forget bf delivers car parts lol maddd discounts..)
It's called angle iron, it can be purchased at any hardware/home improvement store. I paid $19.05 for a 48" piece and 10 screws from Lowes.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Qumodo
thats an awesome light bar. i would love to make something like that for mine. what would it cost me to have you fab one up for me? again awesome work.
I could e-mail you all the pics and a description of how I made it if you want to try it yourself. It was really easy... "so easy, a caveman could do it!" Sorry, I couldn't resist throwing that in there! LMAO! Send me your e-mail address and give me a few days to send it out to you.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Are your lights hooked up yet? If they are, how far out do they shine? Significantly further than highs? And how do you like the three light setup?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:01 PM
Beginning Member

Are your lights hooked up yet? If they are, how far out do they shine? Significantly further than highs? And how do you like the three light setup?
Yes, I hooked them up the same day I installed them. I have them set about 15-20 feet in front of the truck, left and right ones are turned outward slightly. I'm not looking for distance, I'm more concerned with what's in front of my truck since I take it off-road so often. I like the center light but there's something wrong with that one. The filament smokes when I turn it on, but it won't burn out! Now it's dimmer than the other two so I'll probably end up replacing it. I'll say this, THEY ARE BRIGHT! Plus I have two fog lights in the top corners of my grill which cover a good distance and are extremely bright as well.

Attached Thumbnails Custom light bar, 94 Jimmy-100_1022.jpg   Custom light bar, 94 Jimmy-100_1023.jpg  
Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like those pics don't do them justice! They look like three flashlights from the pic lol! Do you use one relay for all 3 lights?
How did you attach your tire to your roof by the way, I don't see any straps.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:44 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

looks good

Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Rob,you forget you were educated in the Wantagh School District.you are not even as educated as a cave-man. Mr.Reith would be proud.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:02 AM
Beginning Member

Sounds like those pics don't do them justice! They look like three flashlights from the pic lol! Do you use one relay for all 3 lights?
How did you attach your tire to your roof by the way, I don't see any straps.
Pics definately don't do them justice. Lights didn't come with a relay, so I'm not using one. They seem to work fine without one. The spare is held in place by a pipe that runs pependicular to , and underneath the cross members of my roof rack. I put the hook that holds the spare around the pipe and up through one of the lug holes. I also put blocks under the cross members to keep the rack from bouncing. I think straps holding the spare on the rack looks sloppy.

Quick Reply: Custom light bar, 94 Jimmy