Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

EMP Proofness...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 PM
christianik1407 is on a distinguished road
Default EMP Proofness...

Just a thought as a long term project, what model year of a K5 blazer would be best to start out with for an EMP proof Blazer. I think it would need 95% of the electronics bypassed, and I'm prepared to do that, but I don't know where to start. I'm not a conspiracy theorist nutjob, but if some s#it does hit the fan, I would like to be somewhat prepared.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much the older the better if you are looking for next to no electronics.

I'm not sure how well an HEI or even a points style distributor would do if hit with an EMP... I sure like my HEI distributor in my '74 though. I'll never go back to points!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:45 PM

I was thinking an older (74ish) or one of the M1009 military surplus/decommission.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

building a "bug out vehicle"

Bug out vehicle...EMP proof - Survivalist Forum

Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM

But what about blazer specific? How far back would I have to go to make it easier to harden it?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The old M1009's are fully mechanical diesel engines with no electronics involved. They'd do quite well.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:06 PM
chvyblazer00 is on a distinguished road

theres one of those for sale down my street lol maybve i should look into buying it. armor the door and floor lol. make a rolling tank!!

Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Beginning Member
Karsten is on a distinguished road

M1008 or M1009 6.2 N/A Diesel, they even run on pure veggie oil if there's no diesel fuel avail.
To be EMP proof you'd need a manual trans in order to be able to push start it if the starter motor dies.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:54 PM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Air start diesel would be best... Points ignition would survive BTW. I work for a federal facility that was built during the cold war. We are design to come back to "Life" after the bombs fall. We call it "Black start".

With air start you would be able to use the auto trans.

Last edited by kristoph30; 04-10-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Addition