Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Engine build measure & calculation spreadsheet

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road
Default Engine build measure & calculation spreadsheet

I've come up with a spreadsheet (The spreadsheet is designed in OpenOffice) but saved as MS Excel (.xls). It is based on the one from my machine shop and extended for some valvetrain components, stuff found useful in some books and personal experience.

Anybody with engine build experience want's to have a look please comment here what is missing or what could be improved.
It has an average level of complexity and lives with some assumptions. E.g. that you are using the same weighing equipment Before, During and After the build.

It could be used to calculate compression ratios easily especially to compare different setups. Just use one cylinder for a setup then you can compare them. Or set number of cylinders to 1 and use the three Before, During, After to get comparisons. In the middle is a conversion from inches to metric.
Using metric is best as the spreadsheet is designed for that use as metric directly converts to cc's and is a much smaller entity.

Still doing the camshaft sheet. That one will be a separate spreadsheet as I'm planning on adding graphs as well. Once completed I'll place it inside the rotational assembly sheet.

The spreadsheet does not use macros. Some calculations are just a bit more complex using IF/THEN's to get correct outputs and avoiding some DIV#ZERO errors or for correct data interpretation.

It is released under the CreativeCommons 4.0 license which makes it shareable but not for commercial use.

Enjoy

Attached Files