TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

2002 TB Onboard MPG Calculation

Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
mohawks76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 TB Onboard MPG Calculation

How does the onboard instant MPG feature calculate the instant MPG? What data does it capture and what is the calculation?

I'm making some modifications that may cause this feature to report an incorrect MPG and I would like to know how the changes will effect the calculation.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2002 TB Onboard MPG Calculation

Calculation is based off of IPW (injector pulse width) which the computer translates into fuel consumption and uses in conjunction with the RPM of the motor and the speed you are travelling at. If you are not changing the fuel pressure, then you are not changing these basic calculations. If you are changing the fuel pressure... Well, I do not believe that there is an easy way to correct for that, but the difference can be determined through back calculation of instantaneous MPG, RPM, MPH, and IPW to figure your fuel consumed during one injector pulse. Then modify that through some further calculations (not easy) to figure your change in fuel consumed and its factor on the MPG calculations.

But since you are driving an '02 TB, I will start off by saying that it is VERY difficult to do anything to these motors that would require the increase of fuel pressure so I do not think that is where you are going with your modifications.

*Moving to GMT360/370 Tech*

Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 PM

I have installed an HHO bubbler that injects hho gas into the intake manifold through the PCV vent line. When running, it sends the O2 sensor signal down to 120mV. I am modifying the signal back up to about 420 mV and sending it to the ECU. Runs smooth with no change in power.

I will be making a 650 mile run this week so I will be checking actual MPG, but I was trying to figure out if the instant MPG displayed was going to be accurate or if skewed, what kind of a skewing it will take.

Your thoughts?

Old 06-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What causes the O2 sensor to drop to 120mV and stay there...? This should not happen regardless of the fuel source. You are, after all, burning hydrogen. An O2 sensor senses free oxygen in the exhaust and compares it with the free oxygen level of the outside atmosphere. By skewing the signal back to the PCM, you are defeating the gasoline fuel system... It'll run, but it won't be dynamic.

In the long run, I think you are just wasting money. This process of electrolysis requires electricity. Electricity generated by the electrical system of your vehicle. If this system was truely lossless (what it would have to be to make any appreciable net affect), you would see a benefit, but it isn't. You will always have more energy put into the process than you extract.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:34 PM

Research HHO and EFIE
Defeating the gasoline fuel system is the objective.

Thanks for your assistance.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

I know what they are and I do not believe that you will defeat the gasoline fuel system... But whatever. I get a kick out of the explanation of these gimics on most of the websites that pop up with a google search on those two keywords. Everybody is looking for the miracle cure!

Best of luck and let us know the out come of your trip. I wouldn't worry about the little things until you have a working setup that is capable of actually making a difference.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:26 AM
keninator is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree with Swartlkk..Did you ever notice they only sell kits?...Or parts to make them?...Or books?...No shop that I know of installs them.There is not enough volume on a bubbler system to make an engine run properly.And dangerous.Besides that,hydrogen will damage a standard engine.There are lubricants in gasoline.None in hydrogen.It also is a hotter fuel.Would require a total engine redesign.Premium engine components,altered ignition timing ect...If those kits worked,dont you think shops would want to make money installing them?