Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

German 98 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What prohibited you from mounting them in the other way around? Were they the proper air shocks for your application (year/etc)?

In my experience with them, air shocks have enough trouble with sand & fine rocks wearing through the bladder when in the correct orientation let alone upside down where water can add to the effect. Just something to watch out for.

The only other thing I would suggest is possibly adding a support on the opposite side of that shock back up to the axle tube. It would suck to snap that bolt while offroading and end up with no shocks on that corner. A little extra support won't hurt.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Steinbruchsoldat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by HcHawks09
oh... and what about putting shock boots on them? Keep the dirt and rocks out.
Let me try to explain it. The shock boots are not complete sealed. So there`ll always be some water/dirt in them. If you do some mudding there will be mud inside the shock boot. If you now drive over a bump and the shocks go to full bump the mud will net go fast enough out of the boots and damage the seals in your shock. So it`s better without them...

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What prohibited you from mounting them in the other way around? Were they the proper air shocks for your application (year/etc)?

In my experience with them, air shocks have enough trouble with sand & fine rocks wearing through the bladder when in the correct orientation let alone upside down where water can add to the effect. Just something to watch out for.

The only other thing I would suggest is possibly adding a support on the opposite side of that shock back up to the axle tube. It would suck to snap that bolt while offroading and end up with no shocks on that corner. A little extra support won't hurt.
Those are some heavy duty air shocks with more travel and a bigger weight rating than the ones for the blazer. They suit my application just much better.
The upper shock body is just ways to big to fit in the stock mounting location. Just the lower part is slim enought to fit, so i flipped them...
But i looked a few times if there`s ndirt in them, but they were surprisingly clean...

As for the double shock mounting, i think it`ll be just fine. The air shocks, where the load is, are double shear, so they`re mounted really strong. The additional shocks are just single shear, but this is fine, a lot of cars came with just single shear shock mounting. And of course all the hardware is either grade 8 oder grade 12. And if the bolt should really brake, i always have some spares and tools in the car...

Old 05-17-2011, 03:08 AM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

gotcha thanks for the lesson. I just didnt want you to overlook a easy solution.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:22 PM

Found another use for the laptop mount:

Old 05-17-2011, 03:27 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

haha that works great for that. gotta love multipurpose

Old 05-17-2011, 03:34 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

thats hilarious! nice use of "wasted" space

Old 05-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Got a call from the shipping company today, my tires will arrive on monday...

Old 05-23-2011, 11:58 AM

First i organized my recovery and loading gear:

Then my tires arrived:

Finally on all 4`s...

And matching spare:

My exhaust started rubbing, so i put this cable on:

Old 05-24-2011, 04:29 PM

Found a problem today:

Problem is that i`m running out of time, since i`m working 12-14h a day and we`re leaving on thursday night. Wanted to fix it today but it took us about 4h to book those damn tickets to canada, so i think i`ll have to do it tomorrow. I think I`ll just cut the exhaust after the muffler...

Old 05-24-2011, 07:50 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i cut the exhaust short as well...i think it sounds better that way.
i cant get over those tires and their tread...man!

Quick Reply: German 98 Blazer build