Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

getin started on build

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member
wasteddreams937 is on a distinguished road
Post getin started on build

hey guys i recently got started on the build add a leafs are in the mail rims will be next its moving along slow but steady bi weekly pay is killin me lol but a few new things i got are a thrush turbo muffler i still need to install it and i have got my front grill painted black i used an enamel paint from a near by auto zone tommorow i will probly be purchasing more to do my bumpers i am workin on getting new taillights next payday and also a camera so i can post pics of the truck if anyone has any suggestions please let me know all advice is good advice and is much appreciated

also what tools will be needed to do the torsion crank? i have heard a socket will do but i dont want to destroy anything as i have a family to feed and work on a tight budget thanks guys

Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
91tbi4.3 is on a distinguished road

a 1/2" socket that fits, and a very long 1/2", an air compressor and a impact gun are best.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member

thanks i appreiate it after the add a leafs and torsion crank is there anything else that needs to be done? im going to get an allignment so i dont tear anything up but i want to make sure its all done right so it dont fall apart going down the road

Old 04-28-2012, 03:21 AM
Beginning Member
91tbi4.3 is on a distinguished road

DO NOT CRANK THEM ALL THE WAY DOWN!! You will just eat ball joints if you do, I would say half at max. The add-a lead and shackles would be good enough for the rear, and the t bar crank should be fine. If its still sagging a bit more then you like ten you would need to
Find some heavier shocks to use on the rear.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Have the alignment shop do your tbars when you get an alignment. He can see exactly how the front end dynamics are changing and can max them so they dont kill the ball joints...

If u wanna do them yourself, jack the center crossbar up to lift the front wheels and you can turn em with a ratchet and 1/2" socket. It will go up 1" for every 2turns right. So give em both 4 turns and put it down and measure. I maxed mine out and got about 3.5" lift. Im not worried about ball joints as i will hardly ever drive it.

As for anything else needing done - longer rear shocks. You can go aftermarket, or you can use fullsize Z71 shocks as they fit and are the right legnth.

As for the enamel paint... Bad choice... Enamel is soft, and the front of a vehicle takes alot of bugs and rocks, nevermind the UV light... You want to use automotive paint in a spraybomb, and a good hard clearcoat on top. Find a bodyshop supplier to buy spraybombs from. Read my build i have the info for the right paint to use.

Last edited by ohsofly; 04-28-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member

even though the enamel paint i used was engine enamel paint it will still flake? i know someone who used it on there grill and did around the body line of there blazer and it still looks fine. how long do you think i got till it starts messing up? maybe he hasnt had it long enough to mess up yet either

Old 05-04-2012, 08:57 AM
blazer2331 is on a distinguished road

love it

Old 05-05-2012, 12:40 AM
Beginning Member

thanks my little pick is one from jegs website its my truck without the black grill and lift i am working on getting the lift now as my hours got raised(score!!!) now ill have the money to do so it should be rollin here soon i just did a tune up and brakes first the healt of the truck to me is more important than the look it can look good after it runs good