Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Getting ready to paint my lower quater panels!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member
Bielat16 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Getting ready to paint my lower quater panels!

Hello,

I'm getting ready to paint my jimmy, it is the rear quarter panels. I was wondering how many people have done this. It is a 00 jimmy two door, the color is indigo blue. Any tips would be very helpful. I will be posting up pics of what it looks like now. I will show each step that I do.

Thanks
Stephen

Old 09-17-2010, 01:58 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Hey, I'm getting ready to paint my whole truck this weekend. I'm wet sanding and using a flat black paint and rustoleum primer. I've only wet sanded and painted one other thing and that was a plastic Mustang bumper(backed into it and didn't want to pay for some professional to do it. came out real nice)

The only thing I can tell you now is just make sure that you dull everything down, I use 200grain sand paper, but you can use something more like 180 or so. You don't have to go down to metal but if you do, be sure to primer that. You can check out my build thread, I'm going to finish the truck this weekend. In fact I'll be leaving to go down there in an hour or so.

I'm learning as I go as well, but luckily my dad's neighbor knows how to paint a vehicle. So anything he tells my dad I'll be sure to pass on.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:46 PM
Beginning Member
Bielat16 is on a distinguished road

Okay, thanks. If you wouldn't mind posting up some pic I would really appreciate it. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

I didn't get to finish the truck like I wanted... but there are some updated pics of what not to do. Do not use an electric sander, my dad thought he would and messed my truck up.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
I didn't get to finish the truck like I wanted... but there are some updated pics of what not to do. Do not use an electric sander, my dad thought he would and messed my truck up.

Oooooh, sounds like you just got that nice circular patten finish.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by foxxie
Oooooh, sounds like you just got that nice circular patten finish.
Oh yeah, I was damn near tears lol. I think I might just put a little bondo on it to make it more even if I can't sand it down a little.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:47 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick
Oh yeah, I was damn near tears lol. I think I might just put a little bondo on it to make it more even if I can't sand it down a little.

You could always put a high build primer with a black guide coat over the top. Sand it back with 400 wet&dry (use it wet with some detergent in the water to make it easier to sand) the black guide coat is there to help so you don't sand to deep & to see how deep you need to go to get the sanding marks from the orbital sander out. It sounds like a lot of work but it will only put you back a day or two.

Last edited by foxxie; 09-22-2010 at 02:54 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
b1heqh54 is on a distinguished road

Hi Stephen,

It looks like we have the same truck. I just did the same thing on my truck so I'll give you a link to a bunch of pics I took as I did it. I actually made a fibreglass mould to make a fibreglass replacement panel that won't rust out again. I sold a bunch of them, and since we have the same truck, I could make you up one cheap if you want.

Here's the photobucket link to the pics - they're in reverse order so you should start on the last page first lol

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...QTR%20INSTALL/

- James.