Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Halo Projection Headlights / S10 Grille Converion

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
tommyraybradley is on a distinguished road
Default Halo Projection Headlights / S10 Grille Converion

So I finally finished up my headlight changeout that ended up requiring more than I expected. My old headlight lenses were so faded from the sun they were beyond repair and I couldnt see very well at night.

There were not many options at all for Halo Projection lights available for the Jimmy so I decided to go with the S10 lights. I knew that I would have to change out grills but didnt realize that I would also have to use the S10 bumper as well.

Original stock setup.

New set up. I bought the newe grill for JC Whitney for $35 w free shipping. What I didnt know is that the grill didnt come with the emblem and trim piece that split the lights. I got an all metal S10 bumper off CriagsList, sanded and Dipped it black. Decided to not use the valance and made a plate to hide the oil filter. I also blacked out the turn signal lenses, added runnung lights and $8 tractor lights from Northern Tool.

Added an second "third brake light" I got at the junkyard and LED reverse lights to compensate for the blacked out taillights.

Attached Thumbnails Halo Projection Headlights / S10 Grille Converion-tommyraybradley-54551-albums-s10-grille-headlight-conversion-6903-picture-dsc-0011-25926.jpg   Halo Projection Headlights / S10 Grille Converion-tommyraybradley-54551-albums-s10-grille-headlight-conversion-6903-picture-installed-4th-brake-li.jpg   Halo Projection Headlights / S10 Grille Converion-tommyraybradley-54551-albums-s10-grille-headlight-conversion-6903-picture-added-led-reverse-ligh.jpg  

Last edited by tommyraybradley; 03-20-2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

shoot some clear over the lenses that you tinted, make them gloss (urethane clear) it will look great.
Looks good.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:34 PM
00chevblazer is on a distinguished road

looks super clean! love the lights on the back. i didn't even notice them in the first picture of the rear! and i agree with richphotos, i sprayed 2 coats of clear over mine and they look great.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

looks waay better dude. how do you like those projectors? i was thinking of getting the same ones. and is that a second 3rd brake light just above the hitch?? diggin it.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:32 PM

Appreciate the compliments. I prefer the matte black myself. I used Plasti Dipp to paint everything you see that's black. I would like to clear coat what's been painted but not sure what to use to keep the matte finish???

Old 03-20-2013, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Twip
looks waay better dude. how do you like those projectors? i was thinking of getting the same ones. and is that a second 3rd brake light just above the hitch?? diggin it.
Thanks, They were a cheap set bought off Ebay. I had to play around with them to get them to fit right but they look great and definately light up the road much, much better.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Mrthelaxer is on a distinguished road

nearly crapped myself at the difference on your front end, went from looking plain and unblanaced with the grille guard, to rugged and bad**s, really love the look, thinking about getting similar headlights for mine, feel like it gives a really modern and cool look to the car. any future plans for it now?

Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by tommyraybradley
Appreciate the compliments. I prefer the matte black myself. I used Plasti Dipp to paint everything you see that's black. I would like to clear coat what's been painted but not sure what to use to keep the matte finish???
i might be mistaken here, but i do believe that they make a matte clear coat. think about it, they make a matte everything else right? i know i have seen it in a rattle can at Lowes. made by Valspar. i used some of their clear coat and it works great. but OMG does it FREAKIN stink!!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mrthelaxer
nearly crapped myself at the difference on your front end, went from looking plain and unblanaced with the grille guard, to rugged and bad**s, really love the look, thinking about getting similar headlights for mine, feel like it gives a really modern and cool look to the car. any future plans for it now?
I have 2 things that I am definately doing on the front. Find and install the trim piece that splits the headlights and turn signals and mount a Smitty Built XRC-8 winch that I have. It sucks that no one offers bolt on mounting kits for Blazers/Jimmys. I have looked at many threads on this forum and have a pretty good idea how i'm gonna do it, I just need to do it.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Twip
i might be mistaken here, but i do believe that they make a matte clear coat. think about it, they make a matte everything else right? i know i have seen it in a rattle can at Lowes. made by Valspar. i used some of their clear coat and it works great. but OMG does it FREAKIN stink!!!!
To be honest I havent researched it yet but there probably is a matte clear coat available. I tell ya, I love Plasti Dipp. I started out using the spray cans, $6 at Lowe's, then bought a gallon for like $55 from dipyourcar.com and a cheap spray gun and went crazy. I then read online where you can buy the PlastiDip that's not premixed for spray applications and thin it down yourself for about half the cost. I did this with good results and cost about $25 - $30 per gallon. You can do quite a bit with a gallon. This is the wifey's Honda Accord I did for about $15.

Attached Thumbnails Halo Projection Headlights / S10 Grille Converion-tommyraybradley-54551-albums-garage-wifey-s-ride-6872-picture-1359838898152-25788.jpg  

Quick Reply: Halo Projection Headlights / S10 Grille Converion