Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

I gave up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Beginning Member
chris.niemann84 is on a distinguished road
Default I gave up...

Well I gave up! I don't think the "search" button likes me at all on this site! works great on my Camaro site, but HATES me on this site! LOL

is there a VERY DETAILED "how to" on here for a motor swap.

I'm doing a '95 4.3L EFI (spun bearing this morning) over to a 350 V8 Carb. and i'm just wondering what I'm about to get myself into by doing this!

Thanks for anyones help!

if anyone has their own pictures and some good advice to go with it, feel free to email me too....

niemannenterprises@hotmail.com

thanks!

Old 02-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I have done some research into this as I was thinking about doing the same thing to my 95 a little bit ago and there is alot involed. there are special engine mounts you need to get, special oil pan, and special headers, and if its 4x4 isn't that much harder. also the transmission will have to be changed over as the 4L60E that is already in the truck will not handle the 350. also the fact you are going carbed means you will have some rewiring to make you guages to work. if you go fuel injected (i.e. get a 350 out of a similar year full size with F.I. then you can find a convertion harness so everything will work with the engine and other than that for the F.Il the computer will obviously need to be flashed to run the engine.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:40 AM
Beginning Member

don't need headers. i set of manifolds out of a 305 Tpi camaro work just fine. little restrictive for the 350 but they do work. the 4L60E can handle a 350 with plenty of ease... the 4L60E is a mock of the 700R4 just electrical. i'm not looking to build a drag truck out of this, its just a daily driver. as long as you take your sensors out of your 4.3 block, most will screw right into the 350 block therefore "most" your gauges will still work just fine. 350 motormounts work if you have a welder, just ditch your 4.3 mounts off the frame and weld the 350 mounts to the frame. the 4.3 radiator works if you get a good fan to push it, if not an 82-87 Corvette radiator works even better... don't care about the harness cause i hate computers telling me how my truck should run, that is what messed it up in the first place.....

Old 02-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Quik is on a distinguished road

i personally would never waste the effort in using a 350 especially with a carb. Id look for a 4.8/5.3 drop out if i was you. youll get more power, better driveablity and actually be legal if you cared for that.

you are legally allowed to install a newer motor into a vehicle but its illegal for emissions to install an older motor

o btw nothing wrong with a PCM if you have a clue how to make them work for ya

Old 03-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Beginning Member

well I found a 4.3 for cheap as all get out. only question I have is with the computer. I have a '95 and this motor is coming out of a '96. the motor is the throttle body vortec instead of the fuel spider vortec like i have now... will my computer control this motor or do I need to take the computer off the truck that I am getting the motor from?

if so, this new motor has the computer under the hood ontop of the fenderwell, will this computer hookup to my computer that is not on the fenderwell?

thanks again everyone!

Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The short block would likely work, but the heads on up are different.

And the '96 is an SCFI engine which has a fuel injection spider similar to the CPI motors with the main difference being that the SCFI engines use 6 electronic injectors and the CPI engines only have 1.

The heads are milled for vertical intake bolts while the intake bolts used on the older CPI engines are perpendicular to the gasket face. There are likely more differences in terms of timing cover where the CKP sensor mounts, etc.

You would be much better off getting the proper motor for your truck than trying to make something newer work. If you have the computer under the dash inside, you can use a 93-95 CPI motor and it will drop right in.