Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

I've Got 2 blazers what should I build?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Beginning Member
buildamudder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I've Got 2 blazers what should I build?

Hey, I'm new to this forum. Question: What would be a fairly simple project for this winter... Blazer#1[/u] I've got a 1991 K5 with a perfect frame, 350 tbi and drive-train. Runs perfect. The body is SHOT. Blazer#2[/u] I've got a 1996 4-door s-10 Blazer with blown 4.3L vortec motor. But, the frame, tranny, drive-train and body are immaculate. My Thoughts: Slap the 350 tbi motor from the 91 into the 96 s-10. OR Swap the 96 4-door s-10 onto the k5 rolling chassis. What areyour thoughts for a quick 5-month winter project with limited funds. Thanks in advance for you project thoughts! Any references to simular project threads would help me a lot.

My daily driver is a 88 K5 with 6" lift 35x15.5 swampers

Old 12-06-2008, 05:49 PM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: I've Got 2 blazers what should I build?

if the interior is decent on the k5 and the body is fixable, fix the body. if not, shove the 350 and trans from the k5 into the s10 blazer

Old 12-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Beginning Member

Putting the motor and tranny in would be the easiest by far. I would love to do that!
I think it's possible if I lose the TBI and switch to a good ole fashioned Carb?
I think the swap goes something like this:
TheS-10 blazer had a 4.3L vortec and the K-5 has a 5.7 TBI.
If it were TBI to TBI, That would be a snap.
I'veread-up andthinkthat I need:
- oil pan mod (cause it's 4x4).
- Need to utilize theK5 mounts? or Kit mounts
- some camaro iron exhaust manifolds or headers.
- and a modified computer chip for air/fuel mix.

I don't know if this is acurate or not?
Any thoughts?

I found this build and it got my head so far up in the clouds...that's when I ran out and bought the s-10.
Search: "tinks hybrid"

Old 12-07-2008, 03:35 AM
vin791 is an unknown quantity at this point

check out jagsthatrun.com they have head headers and an oil pan you can buy. no carb, just do tbi. use the computer for everything out of the k5. engine mounts in the k5, etc. etc. just make sure you have a good enough radiator and do dual electric fans. i don't have any personal experience on this just from what i've read up. i hope to do a 350 swap someday as well. theres a few people on here that have done them that know wayyyy moer about it than me.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you for the parts reference! I'm gonna do it. I have to remember to keep it realistic when I pick a project. I'm one of those freaks that gets obsessed and starts living in the garage. The body swap would be cool, but wouldn't be finished by spring time. I'm stripping the k-5 down and bagging parts. It should be a shell by Wed. I'll store the chassis and scrap the body (Sawzall). I'll take some pics and see if I can figure out how to post them.

Does anyone want the removable K5 top? Otherwise, Ill have to chop it up to throw it out.
I'm in Lakewood, OH. if anyone wants the top.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I still say put the s10 body on the k5 frame. I mean look how sick this is.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:35 PM
crazy4wdracer is an unknown quantity at this point

Definitely put the S-10 body on the K5 frame. That truck that Blazin_Jason posted is beautiful! I like the Earnhardt colors too.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
Default RE: Ive Got 2 blazers what should I build?

Yeh, that is sick.

The s-10 blazer was delivered to my hose last night. It's soooo clean.
The k-5 teardown is going smooth and quick (but I'm freezing my @ss off in the garage)
The motor and trans are comming out as unit so when it goes into the s-10 i'm going to pull the clip and radiator supports and kinda slide in from the front instead of drop in at an angle.

THEN I WAS THINKING...
If I sawzall off the rest of the body on the k-5. Then remove the front clip from the s-10.
I could butt the s-10 right up againt the rear of the k-5 chassis and use a come-allong and slide the s-10 body right onto the k-5.

SPECS AND MEASUREMENTS.....
The 91 k-5 wheelbase is 106.5 the 96 s-10 blazer 4-door wheelbase is 107.
this could be the easiest body swap ever andWITHOUT a crane or back-hoe.
I'm going out to measue the center of the back axle - to the firewall on both vehicles.
If they match....I shouldn't have to re-position anything except body mounts and steering.

Either way both motors have to come out.
Well gotta get out there and get wrenching.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Beginning Member

Went out and measured k-5 chassis and 4-door s-to body.
Measured EVERYTHING...Front/Back, Side-to-Side, Firewall to rear axle...Ect....

My k-5 motor on K-5 Frame is nearly perfect. Only issue is 1 and 1/2 inch placement of the motor.
The motor is to far back by just a bit....So, I'll either sledge hammer the s-10 firewall or cut it out and move it back. This way I won't have to mess with the k-5 drivetrain.

Today's progress:
K-5 front clip is gone, Removable Top is off, Windshield gone, 4-pillars cut and roof gone.
By tommorow, The entire body will be off the k-5 and I'll gets some pics posted.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can rent to lift the s-10 body straight-up so that I can roll the Chassis in and out?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:06 PM
samuknow is an unknown quantity at this point

I am freaking out to see pics. This sounds like an awesome build.

Quick Reply: I've Got 2 blazers what should I build?