Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Just picked up a 1991 Jimmy 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 04:38 AM
Beginning Member
Jbar is on a distinguished road

Well I am new to the world of the Jimmy and Blazer family, but when I heard my dad was selling his, I went over to have a look at it and fell in love with the size, styling and not to mention the body and interior are in great shape aside from the odd bit of rust on her.... that will be gone soon enough. The truck has 320k on it, a bit high, but runs strong.... but could use a tune up. She needs a new front bumper to vastly improve the look and new rear brakes along with a brake line repair... which is located somewhere in the rear, haven't even looked for it yet and not really concerned.

I'll post pics as I go along with my improvements and any modifications.

High priority things to do

-Rear brakes/fix or replace brake line that is leaking in the rear
-New front bumper from scrap yard
-Fix rust on front doors
-Do the rear brakes- front was done 1st day I got it... wasn't safe to drive)
-New front left brake caliper mount- we found the screw stripped the top part that secures the brakes. Bottom is still fine, but should not be driving it
-New windshield- has a crack along the bottom, but does not effect vision
-Tune up
-New power window motor- this item is not major, but just makes life a little quicker
-Get a new GMC grill. It seems to have been replaced with a chevy grill, likely what messed up the bumper.
New tires, thinking of upgrading to 31's any suggestions? This truck is stock so I'm wondering if 31's will even fit on.

I'll keep you posted with my progress and pics to make sure I actually get everything done! I have loftier things I want to do to the truck later on, but this is my current to do list.

Ps. The truck cost me 500, is black and will be my new baby

When doing the front brakes, I discovered that the top screw in for the caliper mount has been stripped. We found evidence of this on the actual screw when I was tightening it, and it would not go tighter. Is it possible to salvage this or am I going to need to swap out the caliper mount. Would a different screw work, with the screw going farther down?

Anyone else have a similar issue that they found a way around?

Last edited by rriddle3; 07-14-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

Welcome to our nightmare, Jbar. Naw, just kidding. My daughter and I got her 1993 Jimmy for pretty cheap too. Of course there were issues that needed attention right away. There are still some minor issues that need to be taken care of. Hey what do you want for a used car that is this old? As far as your brake caliper mount, if the screw hole is stripped, I recommend replacing it. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to spending money on car parts ( I really need to quit that) But, I never short cut or rig stuff on brake systems. That is one system we cannot afford to fail on us. The screws that mount the caliper to the bracket are special bolts with a unique shape to them so the caliper can slide back and forth on them, at the same time providing a solid anchor for the caliper to mount to. Any junk yard should have a replacement for you.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member

Nightmare eh? I guess that makes us sort of like those people who watch scary movies for kicks
Thanks for the reply. I was more than certain that was what I was going to have to do, but hey it never hurts to throw a question out there.

Mine has a couple issues too, nothing major and it's like you said, you expect a few things here and there for something so cheap. This just means I won't cry if I break the toy, hah!

Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
Beginning Member

I'll pick up a caliper mount, when I go and grab the myself a new bumper and a GMC grill from the pick a part.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

you can always drill it up a size then heli coil it.... when i was way younger and i got my first 83 s10 blazer i had the same situation. i actually ended up doing some kinda nut and bolt deal with it, i remember it rattled around but it worked