Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Manual Transmission Swap for 1994 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 AM
JesseTheNoob is on a distinguished road
Question Manual Transmission Swap for 1994 Blazer

Hello everyone, I will shortly be acquiring a 1994 S10 Blazer 4x4 that kind of fell into my lap. Long story short is that the transmission is shot, but the rest of the vehicle is in great condition with 116k miles on it. It has the automatic, and I will be aquiring the vehicle for around $400 and I would like to swap in a manual. I found a couple how to's googling around but it seems that they have been dedicated to the next model, not the 1994 and below. I have a high amount of experience working on and modifying cars, and have my own entire garage with a lift and all the machines I could need to do my own work. My questions however would apply to asking those of you who have more expertise with these specific vehicles, what bumps in the road may I expect and what exactly should I watch out for in a auto to manual swap in this specific vehicle? I'm sure I'll need a new flywheel, I'll have to put in a pedal, master and slave cylinder, shifter etc. What else thats specific to these might I need? Driveshafts? Wiring? Transmission mounts? If anyone could spend a small part of their day to enlighten me and educate me, it would be greatly appreciated! I expect to become an active member here if I get this thing on the road soon and am looking forward to the journey. My last 4x4 was a Bronco II, maybe some of you will hate me for that but I had a blast with it and am looking forward to another fun vehicle that I can use for offroading as well as hauling parts around for work. Thank You in advance for any input I recieve.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:42 AM
Default Bump

No help or hints of knowledge from anyone here?

Old 04-04-2015, 02:01 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Your looking a a fairly big job, it would be way easier to put an automatic back in it. then sell it and buy one with a standard if that's what you want.

Old 04-05-2015, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Strangerock
Your looking a a fairly big job, it would be way easier to put an automatic back in it. then sell it and buy one with a standard if that's what you want.
I don't understand why it would be so difficult to swap in a manual if they had them available from the factory? Its a medium sized job, and as I said I have an entire shop to do it in. Its also not my only vehicle so it doesn't need to be done in 1-2 days. I know it would be easier to put an auto back in but I want a stick, and I happened to get this one for a great deal and it was well taken care of and I'm happy with it, except the auto part. (and the trans is toast anyways, nows the perfect time to swap if I need to)

I just would appreciate some pointers from anyone familiar with the project on what to look for as far as what specific problems may arise if any.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:35 PM
07nhbpsi is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JesseTheNoob
I don't understand why it would be so difficult to swap in a manual if they had them available from the factory? Its a medium sized job, and as I said I have an entire shop to do it in. Its also not my only vehicle so it doesn't need to be done in 1-2 days. I know it would be easier to put an auto back in but I want a stick, and I happened to get this one for a great deal and it was well taken care of and I'm happy with it, except the auto part. (and the trans is toast anyways, nows the perfect time to swap if I need to)

I just would appreciate some pointers from anyone familiar with the project on what to look for as far as what specific problems may arise if any.
I wish I knew the answers for ya, but all I can say is try to locate a s10 with the 4.3 l in it for your donor parts..... I don't believe that the manual was all that popular in these Trks. Most seem to be autos...