Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

(MODEL) 1/4 scale see-through V8

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default (MODEL) 1/4 scale see-through V8

Yes, when its cold out I dont get into the garage much, instead I have some other hobbies that I figured a bunch of gear heads might enjoy.

For Christmas I got myself a new hockey stick, and this model engine. The kit was about 65 bucks, and its made by Revell, which are not the best quality models out there... But there is not much else available when you want a see through engine.

This is the kit, the finished product is about a foot long and stands about 10 inches high. I have no idea what kind of engine its a copy of, it says nowhere in the instructions. It doesnt have a chevy pattern for the firing order I can tell you that.

These are the paints that I chose for doing a few parts. Krylon for plastics is awesome paint. period.

The first step was the main rotating assembly. You can see all the areas where I have sanded off the flash that Revell kits are famous for. That crankshaft is about a dozen lobes that link together, you dont glue them, cause it would be hard to get it dead straight, so they peice together like puzzles to allow it to remain straight and smoother.

Here it is with the cylinders attached. You use vegetable oil in all of the working areas, just a film is fing, it also keeps the pistons from scratching the cylinders.

These timing gears are thin, so its really tricky to glue the butts on the cracnk and cam so there is no lateral play in order to keep the gears meshing forever, but also trying not to get glue anywhere that it can bond the rotating parts.

The heads get the valves installed one at a time, and you have to hold it open by hand until the glue dries, this took me about 2 hours just to install the valves straight. There is small springs on the topside to pull the valves closed. There is oil inside all the parts here, only the black keepers are glue on first to slide the wrist pin through.

Here is the bottom side of the head, I am holding cyl 2 valves open so you can see how much they move.

This is as far as I have gotten so far since christmas. I have the intake and accessories to paint before I install them, Ill come finish the photolog as I make more progress.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Starting Member
mov4x4 is on a distinguished road

That's pretty cool I've never seen a clear model engine.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:52 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Wow, I have not seen one of those kits in a long time.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 PM

Yeah there is alot of kits online that I want to do too. Now that I went to the bank and got myself a VISA I can order them... 31 years without ever having a credit card, figured its OK now that I have had no debts for years.

Old 01-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Beginning Member
2000Bansheeboy is on a distinguished road

That's really cool! I definitely wanna see the end product there...

Old 01-04-2011, 04:18 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

wow, i haven't seen one of those in probably 10 or 12 years! good score on finding it. and if i remember correctly, it's suposed to be based on the 283.

i'm in the same boat as you Thomas, i like doing the kits during the off season (when i have the chance!) but still need to set up the basement for my son & i.

which is what i'm suposed to be doing this week.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM

I found this one in a local hobby shop while looking for a massive 1000+ pc Lego for my kid brother, he does all the large ones and just leaves em put together for show (or so he says).

No new progress, been playing an awful lot of COD Black Ops latley instead and I lost a valvespring when my hand slipped off while holding the head together... Ive moved everything and still cant find it, going to have to try and find another small one at the hobby shop.