Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My Big Baby(project)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

How much does a new fuel tank cost? I have not heard of patching a hole in a tank that is that big.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:34 PM
CHEVYBOY89 is on a distinguished road

so i went out and and did my research.

i used a 3x3 inch piece of sheetmetal. Some gasoline safe epoxy steel weld and gasoline safe silicone to mesh the sheet metal to the tank. Then i used an epoxy 2 part gas repair kit around and into the seams, and topped the whole area over with bondo bodyfiller for an even more durable hold to patch over the 1x1 inch junkyard hole

hopefully it holds for good but im buying a new tank later down the line

Attached Thumbnails My Big Baby(project)-chevyboy89-77265-albums-garage-b-boi-7480-picture-tank-patch-28907.jpg  
Old 04-23-2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Tajohns34
How much does a new fuel tank cost? I have not heard of patching a hole in a tank that is that big.
aound here in good ol rust ville i feel like they charge more because the damand is higher but thats my opinon..lol...

they range from $140 to $250 depending on where you get it.

I got mine from the junkyard for pennies basically..lol

Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM

Good news is the patch holds up very nicely...I know its ugly but it holds the gas for now..I made my own feed and return line with the proper 3/8 and 5/16 hose and stainless steel (Thanks for the tips administrators). And i cut the vent to the good metal and replaced it from there to the tank with hose (its a vent hehe)...

Bad news is my starter wont disengage and the truck wont start unless i prime it, and im at a stand still. Although the starter will disengage when it is primed and started and when i "Backyard" test it from my battery charger while its out it also disengages.

I've tried everything but replacing the starter which i hope i dont have to do because i just baught it brand new in january. I hooked up my test light on the spark plugs to check for fire the light would blink and stall and repeat every few seconds (to my knowledge it should blink constantly right?)...

I only need about 9 psi pressure from the tank and fuel is reaching the throttle body so i eliminated the fuel delivery.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!
SOMEONE!!!
ANYONE!!!!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:25 PM

It was the starter

Can't believe a 4 month old starter went caput...

Old 04-26-2014, 08:11 PM

I had the chance to drive my truck for the first time since febuary...

Damn that felt good...(it was only around the block.)

I still have to redo the exhaust so its loud the flange on one of my exhaust pipes is generously rusted so its very loud it sounds like nothing but headers plus the O2 sensor has to be replaced the old one would not come out of my Exhaust manifold.

How do i get that out??? Its still good and i have no access to heat.....NoTorch

Old 04-27-2014, 08:25 AM
BF Veteran

really need a torch. Hardware store. MAPP preferably but propane will work. Heat up the nut on the pipe, when you think its hot enough, heat it a few minutes more. 13/16ths open end wrench I think

Old 04-27-2014, 09:57 PM

I sprayed a half of can of penetrating oil on it within a 8 hour time span and used a 7/8 inch open end wrench and climbed into my engine bay..(I'm a little guy he he) and gave it a little leg action came out slowly

Old 04-28-2014, 02:38 AM
BF Veteran

good deal , you got lucky

Quick Reply: My Big Baby(project)