Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

that is one beefy shock mount, looks good rex

Old 09-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

It probably overkill but at least I know I won't ever have to worry about it failing on me! I almost went with just one bar but I figured double shear would be the better way to go given future plans as far as use.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

I think overkill would be preferably in this instance.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 AM

one bar that you could cut slots out to put the shocks inside would have been good too.

Nothing wrong with a bit of overkill now and then, I would cut off the lower points to allow water to drain out though

Old 09-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

A lot of the mounts I looked at were the 1 bar or bent steel with holes and that's kinda where I got the idea from except I didn't have anything large enough to use one piece with a double shear so this is what was created lol!

I have to admit I didn't even get as far as thinking about water drainage with it! Thanks for the input that's why I love this forum!!! I think I'll drill a hole in the base of each leg once I have the feet welded on and it ready to go that way I can be sure to get them close to the bottom and still retain strength.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:27 AM

Yeah, I'm not knocking it at all, just giving more ideas for anyone reading the thread.

Even losing the bottom edge for welding, you still have way more strength than you would need. Drilling a hole works too, but would still allow for a little bit of water and debris to collect, it probably won't ever affect anything but I just personally don't like the idea of anything being trapped anywhere.

So you're welding feet to the bars, then welding the feet to the frame? or bolting it?

Old 09-04-2014, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

No offense taken here I love the additional input! It helps me and everyone else build a better truck as far as I see it Keep it coming!

I see what your saying about a cutout in the bottom of the bar. That makes sense and once again I hadn't thought of that option. I think your right on that that is the better way to go so that'll be what I do for sure.

Yes I will weld the bars to some plate for feet and then I had originally planned to weld it to the frame but I am considering just bolting it now. I may bolt it see how it works out and then I can always weld it later on if I wanted to. I just need to spend some more time under the truck to figure out the best option I guess.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Did you wind up buying those flares?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I got them. To my dismay tho they are not zr2 flares nor do they even fit a 2nd gen and I'm not even sure they fit a first gen but from what I can tell by looking at them they may work for a first gen. They are bushwackers I know that much lol!

Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build