Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:31 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Looks good enough from my house!
Right, a grinder and mud will also cure it!

Old 08-15-2014, 07:51 AM
Forist72 is on a distinguished road

I have been told to be a good welder you have to be a good grinder....

Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
Shadow421 is on a distinguished road

^^ lol ive always been told you are either a welder or a grinder.. Ive only been welding for about 6 months so ive become real familiar with my grinder Those welds dont look that bad. You should see some of the bird crap that guys i work with lay down. As long as theyre strong thats all that really matters!

Old 08-16-2014, 03:54 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

A good strong weld will show heat marks on the back side of the weld

Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

So yesterday I finished up the shock hoop on the drivers side. The welds came out much more asthecically pleasing but still strong which is the more important part. Then I went back over the entire truck to make sure there were no signs of fatigue in my welds or fab work (there wasn't any ). After I was happy with that I went back over all the nuts and bolts (it's amazing how much the ubolts need to be re tightened after 200 miles), then I installed my tcase and gas tank skids, put my storage setup back in the back, painted my other two wheels, checked all my fluids and drive it home for the weekend for the first time. I thought it drove ok before shocks but man it's a pleasure to drive now! It's nice and planted with no wander, steering is tight, and the thing stops like a sports car with the huge calipers up front. I put about 50 miles on it last night and couldn't be happier with the outcome so far. I went to my wife's new office for the first time last night to meet her after work for dinner with some friends and I tried to hide behind her mustang but it didn't work so well lol! She just looked at it shook her head and said "it's beautiful". For me the most gratification that I've had with it and all that I will need is when my two yr old first saw it last night when I picked him up from daycare and he pointed at it and said "look daddy my monster truck". I don't care if I ever get another compliment again cause nothing will top that for me

Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Forist72 is on a distinguished road

Congrats, it is nice to know people appreciate and like your work. Mostly the ones closest to you.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:30 AM
josh18657 is on a distinguished road

Well I'm at the end of my 12 hour work shift and I spent the entire time reading this thread. Mostly took so long cause after just about every page I had to go out and look at my blazer to compare. Mine is a 2000 but same color. I got a lot of good ideas from this thread and I'm sure I'll be stealing some of your ideas in the near future.

I'm pretty interested in that monstaliner and I'm sure I'll be using it the same way you did mainly because I have some bubbles starting above the wheel wells in the back and I'd never match the factory color but the way you applied it would cover the repairs. Looking at the website I see they have tintable bedliner also. Do you know anyone who has used this? I'd like to know if it holds up just as well. How long did you wait between coats? What was involved in the prep? Clean with something strong? Sanding to rough up the old paint?

I can't believe those lights are only around $20 at summit because I have been dreading buying a set for $100. I really like the look of the round lights over the rectangle ones you had on earlier.

One other mod I really like is the receivers mounted in the frame, that is awesome. Those I'd be interested in buying if they where ever available for sale since I have no way of drilling holes in thick metal like that.

I'll definatly be adding a rack at some point in time and hope the stock roof rack stays secure. Was looking at the pic Forist72 has and it looks like his might have tabs securing it directly to the roof?

My only mod so far is a cheap walmart cb installed in place of the remote cassette player my blazer came with. Maybe after I get started on a few more mods I'll post some pics. How did you mount your antenna, looks to be a custom bracket mounted under the hatch some how?

Main thing I posted to say is your truck looks awesome, great job. Thanks for posting all the info and pictures, your an inspiration. I feel like I know you personally now lol

Old 08-18-2014, 07:15 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Are you driving this up to pick up the flares tomorrow?

Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I've considered it! Are you going to be there?

Old 08-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

No, but I work not too far from where he lives. Unfortunately I work until 3:30, I would love to check it out if you come up.

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build