Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My ZR2 basher build

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Beginning Member
jtorlando25 is on a distinguished road
Default My ZR2 basher build

Brought home my 02 ZR2 last week and I am stoked! In highschool, my first truck was an S10 that I lowered to the ground and did a lot ofbody work on it with my dad. After that truck, I started working and commutingto DC so I drove stock commuter cars for the past 7 years. I recently startedtaking the train to work and decided it was time for a fun vehicle again,something I can have fun working on and driving.

She has some bugs that need ironing out:
  • Hood and passenger side fender need a little tweaking (it was in an accident and crappily repaired)…I have a new 2” cowl hood on the way.
  • Possible ground issue? (I’m thinking it may be related to the accident…maybe a crushed cable somewhere?) The dash lights and button clusters up front are “acting funny” for lack of better description at the moment.
  • Rear hatch doesn’t open. New motor has been ordered from rockauto…hoping that’s it. This drives me ape ****...
  • I’m pretty sure she’s leaking coolant from somewhere…wasn’t able to locate the source in the dark last night.
  • Needs shocks and an alignment badly. Shocks ordered. Going to get it aligned after I install the fresh bouncers.

Stuff sitting in my garage waiting to be installed:
  • Pro Comp shocks all around
  • Black safari bar with two 5” spotlights
  • Trailer hitch for my mtb rack and jet ski hauling duties
  • Roof top cargo basket.
  • Raptor liner for the rockers and fender flares

Current mods:
  • Pro Comp 52s w/ matching spare
  • Removed lower valance on front bumper
  • Plasti-dipped bumper & tow hooks (no pics yet because the hood looks like crap)

Attached Thumbnails My ZR2 basher build-wheels2.jpg   My ZR2 basher build-wheels1.jpg  
Old 10-07-2013, 05:40 PM
1999BlueMobile is on a distinguished road

Looks like a great start if you can get those few kinks figured out with minimal issues! Can't wait to see that hood as well as the lights! Keep us updated!

Old 10-08-2013, 07:48 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 1999BlueMobile
Looks like a great start if you can get thosefew kinks figured out with minimal issues!

Thanks! That's what I'm hoping for! My ex mechanic father who helps me out aton is cringing at the thought of tracking down the electric problems but Ithink it’ll be fun lol.

Originally Posted by 1999BlueMobile
Can't wait to see that hood as well as thelights! Keep us updated!

Will do! I’m debating on whether or not to paint the hood. I’m thinkingabout black plasti-dip to match the bumper. I plan on Raptor lining the rockersand flares so it will go with that whole look and function…plus if I hate it Ican peel it off and paint it later.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Beginning Member

Safari bar, lights, and shocks installed last night. She's starting to look mean.

Attached Thumbnails My ZR2 basher build-photo.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Nice choice on the lights!!

Old 10-12-2013, 09:56 PM
Beginning Member

So I've been kinda busy the past couple rainy days...Installed a 2" cowl hood, cargo basket, shocks, and blacked out the grille and emblem. She looks like she's ready for the zombie apocalypse now.

...I really need to do something about that rear sag

Attached Thumbnails My ZR2 basher build-10237777163_119141370d_z.jpg   My ZR2 basher build-10237686896_21e7b438dc_z.jpg  
Old 10-12-2013, 10:49 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Looking good man, a set of shackles and or AAL should fix that sag pretty easily

Old 10-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member

I've gotten a lot done since the rain stopped! I also took it wheelin for the first time this weekend and had a freakin blast.

The rear hatch is functioning good as new after discovering that every single thing that could possibly have been wrong with it, was wrong with it lol.
  1. The 3 amp fuse in the main relay box blown preventing the motor from working when pressing the release buttons. Replaced that, still no dice...but now my electric door locks and mirrors work. Bonus!
  2. The plastic arm coming out of the solenoid connecting to the window latch release was broken. Redneck engineered a fix...works good as new and pops the glass right open. Only to find out that the gas shocks are blown.
  3. Ordered and installed new shocks on the glass. Good as new!
I also wired up a Pro Comp wire harness with relays and switches to my spot lights. The switch gets ground, positive, and a connection to a wire that turns hot when the key is turned...so I broke out my 12v tester and found a wire on my headlight switch that fit the bill...wired it all up and it worked fine while parked, then while driving they went haywire and the spots wouldn't turn off even with the key removed from the ignition. I forgot that the headlight switch is one of the things that is "acting funny" when the electrical gremlins get to terrorizing my dash...so they're temporarily disconnected now. I'm going to use this as a reason to diagnose and fix whatever the electrical issue my dash is experiencing...just need to find the time. I've been reading different threads on here and I've seen it mentioned a few times that there is a wire harness somewhere near the front driveshaft that tends to get rubbed through so I'm going to start there.

Sweet pic I took after playing in the mud:

Attached Thumbnails My ZR2 basher build-blazer.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Beginning Member

Put the hitch to use carrying some bikes this weekend. Took a trip to the mountains for some end of season downhill mountain biking.

Attached Thumbnails My ZR2 basher build-photo.jpg  
Old 10-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Vader is on a distinguished road

Looks great! Same color as mine. I like the Cowl hood for sure.

Quick Reply: My ZR2 basher build